look my Puzzle

Started by
10 comments, last by aI2 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello First of all excuse me for my english ^_^ I wrote not big game "Puzzle" and I want you to see it. I am most interesting in how much the game will like to you. What is good there and what is not good? What impressions you have? And maybe I missed some bugs in code, if you notice them, please tell me here. Download game here: http://www.gamedev.ru/download/?id=3481 Thanks Edit: I forgot, you must put game file in folder with jpeg or bmp files, then program will work. [Edited by - aI2 on May 6, 2006 8:12:21 PM]
Advertisement
I tried putting both a .jpg and .jpeg file, 24-bit and 8-bit .bmp file in the same directory as the .exe, but it didn't start.

Two tips though:
  • Use the .zip format instead of the .rar format since .zip is more common.
  • Supply graphics instead of letting the user copy files to the game folder. And if you don't want to supply graphics for some reason, let the program spit out some message saying that it won't run without graphics in its folder, instead of not running at all.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Enselic
It is very strange. Game must start without dependences of other files in the same folder.
Maybe there are another reason for not_starting. Game can work only with resolution 1024x768 and refresh_rate>=75. At the starting it check resolution and if it is not correct, game will try to find a videomode with appropriate parametrs. If there is no such videomode, it exit (and not display any message!)
Please check your video system abilities.
Game have worked on many different computers, but there was no problems like this.

>Use the .zip format instead of the .rar format since .zip is more common.
I`ll remember it

>Supply graphics ...
It is a pity, but I can not translate this v_v
I understand each word, but can`t understand the whole sentence. Please, if it is not difficult for you, make another sentence with other words and with the same content
It won't run on my old monitor. It only supports 60hertz.

What Enselic means by "Supply graphics" is that you should include the images used in the game along with the .exe. Hopefully, that can be translated.
Oh, well I have a laptop which refresh rate is 59-61 Hz, and it is locked. Unless you are making something very odd, there is no need to limit the refreshrate to 75 Hz. Try to implement time based movement (example article).

With supply graphics I mean that you could include a bmp file or a jpeg file in your .zip, so users do not manually have to copy graphics to the directory of the program.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Ok, I understood "Supply graphics". I wanted to include picture with the game, but I changed my mind. I did so for faster downloading.

I look game code right now and I have idea. Change your resolution by hand to 1024x768 with any refresh rate and try to start game. That may solve problem.

Write here if you succeed
I have 1024x786, but it didn't help. [sad]
Enselic
Very sorry, really v_v
I had wrote this game one year ago. In those time I was beginner and made stupid mistakes. The Puzzle code is awful. And there were some reasons why I was wating for year to demonstrate game.
Here a part of initialization code, maybe it helps somehow

bool CMyApplication::InitDirect3DDevice()
{
if(NULL == (pDirect3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION)))
return false;

ZeroMemory(&Direct3DParametr, sizeof(Direct3DParametr));
Direct3DParametr.Windowed = FALSE;
Direct3DParametr.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
Direct3DParametr.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;
Direct3DParametr.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;
Direct3DParametr.BackBufferCount = 3;

D3DDISPLAYMODE Display;

pDirect3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &Display);
if(Display.Height != 768 || Display.Width != 1024)
{
UINT i=0;
for(; i < pDirect3D->GetAdapterModeCount(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8); i++)
{
pDirect3D->EnumAdapterModes(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, i, &Display);
if(Display.Height == 768 && Display.Width == 1024 && Display.RefreshRate >= 75)
break;
}
if(i == 0)
return false;
}
Direct3DParametr.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = Display.RefreshRate;
Direct3DParametr.BackBufferFormat = Display.Format;
Direct3DParametr.BackBufferWidth = Display.Width;
Direct3DParametr.BackBufferHeight = Display.Height;

if(FAILED(pDirect3D->CreateDevice(
D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd,
D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,
&Direct3DParametr, &pDevice)))
return false;

pDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE);

return true;
}
Remove the >= 75 Hz condition and change to software vertex processing and make an upload and I'll give it another shot.
Ok
New link
http://www.gamedev.ru/download/?id=3489

I forgot:
Game in Russian. I`ll translate. When you start game, there 3 buttons from up to down:
-New game
-Load/Save
-Exit

New game window:
at the left - list of image files
at the right - level of complication

Load/Save window:
left bottom button - Load
right bottom button - Save
in the center - list of saved files

Game window:
type 'g' to show grid