[.net] SharpFS (alpha release)

Started by
12 comments, last by Joviex 17 years, 11 months ago
I've been working on a virtual filesystem library written in pure C#, rather than writing a wrapper around some other unmanaged library (usually PhysicsFS). That work has finally come to a state where it's usable and functional, so I figured I'd toss an alpha out here (licensed under LGPL for now). I warn you right now this is very "fresh" code, and there are probably more than enough bugs, particularly given the sheer number of weird edge and corner cases that can be thrown into code like this. So apart from the fact that it's pure managed code, there are a number of neat advantages to this library. It's designed to be extremely flexible in terms of allowing various mount patterns. It forces you to mount something to the root of the filesystem (which is UNIX style, a single forward slash), but that root can be any supported archive type. Multiple physical archives can be mounted at the same virtual location, so if you have pak0.zip and pak1.zip, both can be placed at /data. You can mount something at /A/B/C even if A and B do not have anything mounted on them. You may subsequently mount something at /A/B without damaging anything, and in case of conflicts only the deepest virtual mount will be checked (in this case, /A/B/C will shadow any C that is generated from the mount at /A/B). The archive support is plugin based. To date I have only written two archive plugins, one for directories (ie standard physical filesystem) and one for zip archives. I'm using #ziplib for zip support. It also has support for tar, gz, and bz2, but I haven't gotten around to writing those plugins yet. You can also write your own plugins without making any modifications to the SharpFS sources (which lets you dodge licensing issues). Note that by default, the code does not actually load any archivers. You provide the ones you want in the constructor, or you can register them later. Oh, and a side note here: Make sure you include the correct archiver for the root in that constructor, or it will fail. (This allows optimal performance, since it's unlikely that you need to handle every possible archive type for any given project.) There's another class included, which is a layer built on top of the virtual filesystem. It provides a file manager that can queue up and background load a whole bunch of files at once. Both the virtual filesystem and the file manager are completely thread-safe for all operations. The file manager also prevents files from getting loaded multiple times (but you can release files if you like). Now, some of the downsides. Again, this is seriously undertested code. Everything is supposed to be thread-safe and exception-safe, but those things are easier said than done. There are probably mistakes in there which I haven't caught yet. I also am not sure if there are corner cases involved with mounting that I haven't dealt with. There isn't exactly a huge range of archive types supported, and really the base interface for archive plugins isn't quite stable yet so writing a new plugin should probably wait. Current directory (".") and up one directory ("..") are rejected outright at the moment, and I need to add support to handle them safely. Despite these problems, I'd really appreciate it if you guys would try this thing out. The more people who use it, the quicker the major bugs will be found and the sooner this will go from an alpha prototype to a fairly stable library that people can use. You do have a direct line to the main developer, after all, and so bugs can go from found to fixed rather quickly. Well I think I've rambled quite long enough. There's an online browsable source tree, or a downloadable tarball. Both are tagged to a subversion repository, so you can always hit these links for the latest revision. [Edited by - Promit on May 7, 2006 2:36:26 AM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Usage sample:
//set up file managementFileSystem = new SharpFS.VirtualFS( ".", false, typeof( SharpFS.DirectoryArchiver ), typeof( SharpFS.ZipArchiver ) );FileManager = new SharpFS.FileManager( FileSystem );FileSystem.Mount( "/Textures", "Textures.zip" );//precache some thingsFileManager.Request( "/tree.fx" );FileManager.Request( "/Textures/tree.dds" );FileManager.Request( "/Models/tree.e61" );//get the actual data for the tree textureSystem.IO.MemoryStream stream = FileManager.GetStream( "/Textures/tree.dds" );Texture treeTex = new Texture( device, stream );//if you don't feel like using the manager, direct access is fine tooSharpFS.VirtualFile file = (SharpFS.VirtualFile) FileSystem.OpenFile( "/Textures/tree.dds" );//there's current directory support too (Note: The FileManager does not handle this correctly)FileSystem.CurrentDirectory = "/Textures";SharpFS.VirtualFile file2 = (SharpFS.VirtualFile) FileSystem.OpenFile( "tree.dds" );

[Edited by - Promit on May 7, 2006 2:27:23 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
This is great, I was just looking for something like this to be used on one of my projects. Great timing.

One thing I'd like to suggest howerver is the addition of aliases (or shortcuts). For example if you have directory /A/B/C and I simply want to refer to it as abc, then something like:

FileManager.AddAlias( "/A/B/C", "abc" );// then doFileManager.Request( "abc:file.txt" );// instead ofFileManager.Request( "/A/B/C/file.txt" );

I would add it in myself, but I figure if it's a feature you want you can put it in "officially" or something.
[size=2]aliak.net
I made a semi-major change now, which is that the entire virtual filesystem deals with objects instead of Streams now. This cleans up a few things and more importantly introduces some interesting opportunities for clever things I'm exploring. More to come.
Quote:Original post by IFooBar
This is great, I was just looking for something like this to be used on one of my projects. Great timing.

One thing I'd like to suggest howerver is the addition of aliases (or shortcuts). For example if you have directory /A/B/C and I simply want to refer to it as abc, then something like:

FileManager.AddAlias( "/A/B/C", "abc" );// then doFileManager.Request( "abc:file.txt" );// instead ofFileManager.Request( "/A/B/C/file.txt" );

I would add it in myself, but I figure if it's a feature you want you can put it in "officially" or something.

I think it would be cleaner as FileManager.Request( "abc/file.txt" ); that way it would treat the alias as much like a 'real' directory as as possible.

Quote:Original post by nagromo
I think it would be cleaner as FileManager.Request( "abc/file.txt" ); that way it would treat the alias as much like a 'real' directory as as possible.
Same here, and that's how I'm going to implement it. I just need to work out a few details of exactly how is best to add the support.
I just thought I'd plug Tao.PhysFs (.NET bindings to PhysFS). Its source is available here and will be bundled with the next Tao release.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
I just thought I'd plug <.... and will be bundled with the next...

Rob, while I do appreciate all the Tao work you have done over the years, that was a pretty pants thing to post in this thread.

As to the actual OP. This looks excellent at first glance. Raw maybe, but very promising and nice design so far.

This is something I will be looking to implement within our upcomming project.
Quote:Original post by Joviex
Rob, while I do appreciate all the Tao work you have done over the years, that was a pretty pants thing to post in this thread.
I agree, but it's just that I didn't have the time to give a proper look at SharpFS at the moment. I'll give it a good look at once I have the time.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Ok, aliases work now. Use the VirtualFS.MountAlias function to create them. (And it doesn't check for loops, so for god's sake be careful.) Syntactically they are identical to everything else.

I've done a ton of internal structural work now that makes this thing far more flexible. I'm still exploring exactly how much is possible, but I know for certain that all of the following are doable:
* Mounting HTTP and FTP directories (this is now implemented, see WebArchiver)
* Mounting databases (includes the ability to issue SQL queries to the database!!)
* Object filesystems (a la The Nebula Device)
* Interpreter based object database (see 1 2 3 by Washu)

[Edit]
Washu: All glory to the Washu!

[Edited by - Promit on May 8, 2006 8:33:48 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement