• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

program hangs for a few seconds when resizing window

This topic is 4277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a C# Managed DirectX program with DirectX 9. When I have a lot of objects rendering in my viewport, and I resize the window, the program will stall for about 3 seconds. Is this in any way expected or normal under certain conditions? It seems way too long considering there is no delay when I am not rendering any objects, and when the objects are rendering I am usually rendering at at least 30 fps. Thanks for any help or advice you can throw my way.

Advertisement
I might be wrong here but, Isn't the device reset during a resize..?
If so, it has to recreate all the graphics assets and re-upload them to the gfx card, which takes some time.
Kindof the same thing should happend in fullscreen alt-tab. No device reset, but D3D has to re-upload and recreate gfx assets.

A Device shouldn't reset necessarily during a window resize. What kind of resize are you talking about? Are you talking about stretching/resizing the window by dragging the borders and making the window smaller/larger? or are you refering to actually going to fullscreen or windowed?

If so then you should be releasing all your resources in the Default pool and swap chains that you have created.

How are you responding to a lost device?

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement