Sign in to follow this  

SDK for NEXT generation consoles

This topic is 4262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some questions concerning the SDKs for next-gen consoles, primarily with the Nintendo Wii. I recall reading an article a few months back concerning the affordability of the Wii SDK (roughly $2000) and I was wondering what one would have to do in order to get a hold of one of these (as an independent developer) when they become available. I'd really like to create a game using that Wii controller.. Also, have they given any clues as to what their take is on independent development on the Wii? I think the XBox has the XBoxLive Arcade system which makes it easier for people to access independently developed video games (not too sure, I don't follow that scene much) and something along those lines with Wii would be great. And finally, has Nintendo released detailed information concerning the controller? Like all the forms of input it can handle (i.e. orientation, rotation, movement, position, etc)?

Quote:
Original post by ferr
I have some questions concerning the SDKs for next-gen consoles, primarily with the Nintendo Wii. I recall reading an article a few months back concerning the affordability of the Wii SDK (roughly $2000) and I was wondering what one would have to do in order to get a hold of one of these (as an independent developer) when they become available. I'd really like to create a game using that Wii controller..
Simply put, you currently can't, unless you're working with an established developer/publisher who have worked with Nintendo in the past.

Quote:
Also, have they given any clues as to what their take is on independent development on the Wii? I think the XBox has the XBoxLive Arcade system which makes it easier for people to access independently developed video games (not too sure, I don't follow that scene much) and something along those lines with Wii would be great.
The Xbox certainly does have Live Arcade which does more or less what you describe (there are some two-person teams signed up to the programme). I don't think there's been much information released about indie development on the Wii.

Quote:
And finally, has Nintendo released detailed information concerning the controller? Like all the forms of input it can handle (i.e. orientation, rotation, movement, position, etc)?
Not to my knowledge.

And they've named CodeWarrior (huge buggy POS IDE) as the official toolset, so I'd give up and run away now!!!

Guest Anonymous Poster
PS3, on the other hand, will have PS3Linux.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by ferr
I have some questions concerning the SDKs for next-gen consoles, primarily with the Nintendo Wii. I recall reading an article a few months back concerning the affordability of the Wii SDK (roughly $2000) and I was wondering what one would have to do in order to get a hold of one of these (as an independent developer) when they become available. I'd really like to create a game using that Wii controller..
Simply put, you currently can't, unless you're working with an established developer/publisher who have worked with Nintendo in the past.

True; everything at warioworld.com indicates that. But the Wii might be a more open system. Over at wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html, they tease us with this: "[The Virtual Console] also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets."

I haven't seen any other info released publicly by Nintendo on this point, but perhaps we'll hear more in June, which is when the "final" revision of the Wii SDK is rumored to become available.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
PS3, on the other hand, will have PS3Linux.
Which you won't be able to use for anything even vaguely serious.

XNA seems like the most promising one right now, in that it's formally announced and actually exists. Of course it'll be several more months before it's public, but at least it's there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Serious in what regard?

If you plan on selling it, then obviously you're right. If you plan on starting a real project that will be published, you probably aren't too likely to succeed anyway if step one is asking on an internet forum.

If you want to accomplish a project at all, ps3linux shouldn't be much of a barrier, and you'll learn the system well. Ps2linux offered complete access to the EE and GS, along with the docs given to professional developers.

I didn't mean to suggest that it is a replacement for getting a professional license. Still, it's a step in the right direction, and it will allow a good amount of people to become familliar with the hardware.

This topic is 4262 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.