• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

PositionColored PointList

This topic is 4278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having a little difficulty with my skybox and my Point list. Basically my situation is this. I have a skybox with a galaxy on it. I also have a large point list which is randomly placed around my camera. The points flicker in colour between light grey and white to provide a nice starfield effect. The problem I am having occurs when I render the skybox. The skybox is rendered before the point list, and currently lighting is disabled. All of the points appear black when the skybox renders. When I dont render the skybox the points are all visible and appear perfectly (I am disabling the Z-buffer while I render both skybox and point list). I can visibly see some of the points from the pointlist... But they are black, not alternating bright as they should be... I hope this is making sense, and someone knows whats going on. Thanks, Knossos.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Knossos
I am disabling the Z-buffer while I render both skybox and point list

Why are you doing that?

So that I dont have to worry about objects being obscured by the skybox, or the stars.

It would look a little strange if the stars were infront of a planet. Disabling, rendering, then re-enabling the z-buffer seems like the logical thing to do.

If I were you I'd keep the Z-buffer enabled. You can find a work around for the obscuring problem. For instance you could place the skybox/stars far enough so you would never reach them. Also you could make the SkyBox unaffected by camera movements. The only effect taken in consideration should be camera rotation. This way you'll never reach the margin of your skybox/stars. You objects will get obscured behind the skybox however you could avoid this by making the skybox large enough. Besides you'll have to clip off the objects thay are far away anyway.

Is there actually an advantage to keeping the z-buffer enabled?

As far as I can tell it really makes no difference one way or the other. Disabling it just saves me hassle.

Back to my original problem though...

Nobody has any idea why the point list isnt showing up properly?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement