• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

A graphics engine question (storing vertex data)

This topic is 4309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently making a small graphics engine using OGL, and have come to a bit of a... errr... <insert intelligent sounding term for 'stuck-ish situation'>. Basically, I am trying to get my loader, for obj files, to work with my vertex arrays, and they do... Up to a seemingly impassable point. Well, I store my vertex information for vertex positions, tex-coordinates, and normals in seperate arrays where they are supposedly matched to each other by indexing (gained from the faces lists). However, certain obj files tend to shift the indexing on texcoords and vertices up and down by having one object be missing texture coordinates and the other one having them, whilst both share vertices. Should I subdivide my objects (the ones in my program) into other objects (to represent the individual obj objects) to tackle this problem? Or is there some sort of an easier way to do this such that it's more easily extensible? Thank you for your time... And if you don't lend your time, then, well, errr... Thanks for, err, avoiding... this... uhh... Oh nevermind. Thanks in advance :-)

Advertisement
Are you sure that it's a problem with the obj files? Usually obj files are pretty well exported by modelling packages. It might be a problem with your model loading routines...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement