Did I make a good decision?

Started by
26 comments, last by Spoonbender 17 years, 11 months ago
I have decided to start my first "real" programming language. I want to learn to write programs and later go on into game development. I didn't want to start with C++ since I have heard it was not worth starting out with it, but later I will go into this. I have decided to start with Python because it is object-oriented and pretty easy. Is this a good decision? Thank you for you feedback.
Advertisement
I don't see what's wrong with just diving into C++. You might find that you've wasted your time learning irrelevant skills in Python if your goal is C++. I don't have any experience with Python, so I can't help you in making that choice, but I like C++.
If you're not planning to work professionally in the industry as game programmer, python is an excellent choice.

I would elaborate the pros and cons of starting with python vs starting with C++ but I'm not entitled to my opinion because it's wrong.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

I think its a good decision, as you get to spend more time focusing on solving problems and writing algorithms than worrying about the low level problems that using C++ can bring.

I still don't really know Python all that well and started with C++, but Python is certaintly as good a language as any to begin with.

Good luck! :)
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"
Programming is a skill which is transferrable. It doesn't really matter what language you're using, it's how you use it that makes the difference. That said, I've heard good things about Python and have been meaning to take a look at it myself. :)
Quote:Original post by EriCartman13
I have decided to start my first "real" programming language. I want to learn to write programs and later go on into game development. I didn't want to start with C++ since I have heard it was not worth starting out with it, but later I will go into this. I have decided to start with Python because it is object-oriented and pretty easy. Is this a good decision? Thank you for you feedback.

Well, I've heard that Python is a great language to start with; I'm not quite sure, however, if I agree with this statement.

I don't know what's right for you, nor could I possibly tell you what the right decision is. I can, however, tell you two things: first of all, learning Python first is definitely not a bad decision, per se. Secondly, I can tell you what I did; here's the sequence of languages that I learned:

• C
  • C++
  • Java
  • Python
  • Perl

I threw in some other languages and libraries all over the place, but that was basically how it went down. It worked for me, but may not necessarily be right for you.

No matter what you do, however, if you show perserverence, you'll be just fine.
Quote:Original post by Tesl
I think its a good decision, as you get to spend more time focusing on solving problems and writing algorithms than worrying about the low level problems that using C++ can bring.

I still don't really know Python all that well and started with C++, but Python is certaintly as good a language as any to begin with.

What else would you recommend other than Python?
Quote:Original post by EriCartman13
Quote:Original post by Tesl

What else would you recommend other than Python?

Im surprised that no-one has mentioned C# yet so let me do the honor.
C# would be a very nice starting language as well.
Python is a very good choice.

In the future, you may find other languages useful (such as C++), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to start with them now. If you can learn the tricks of programming and the concepts in a nice, gentle language like Python, you'll have a vastly easier time learning the nuances of a dirty, complicated language like C++ when the time comes.

If you're interested in a transitional language between the two, C# is a good way to go.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Python is a very good choice.

In the future, you may find other languages useful (such as C++), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to start with them now. If you can learn the tricks of programming and the concepts in a nice, gentle language like Python, you'll have a vastly easier time learning the nuances of a dirty, complicated language like C++ when the time comes.

Python is a fine choice.

Personally I think you should stick with Python. C# is a good choice, but some people may find it initially complicated, much like C or C++ (without the low-level stuff, of course).

And yes, skills you learn in Python will transfer to other programming languages. You're not limited to learning one language and sticking with it for the rest of your life. You're also not limited in using just one language for a project, so keep that in mind. The language you start with isn't as much of a concern as just starting with something.
Ra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement