• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mullvalen

Original game idea "Cursed"...

This topic is 4519 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got this idea from a dream i had some time ago. I dreamt i was cursed somehow, so that i got teleported to another random place if i left the previous area with about 30 metres. It felt very creepy and that thing went on so if i left the new area i got teleported again. Maybe that idea could make a game. Your mission is to solve whats going on and and solve it and in your way you will have to face many obstacles like beeing chased and having to explain why you happened to get pass the security to the meat factory.... It maybe would be hard to do but i think it could make a cool game. Any ideas and/or opinions?

Advertisement
Feels like a "mini game" or "feature" I've seen in several games in various forms.

The one example that springs to mind now is in Planescape: Torment, where every arc or connected frame can be a door to another dimension - and every object, thought, whatever, can be a key. So in concept: walking under a bridge and thinking about donuts may send you to ice-world, or walking through a regular door but holding a tooth from a dragon might send you to hell. Etc.

The portals would appear if you got close, so you had a chance to avoid them. I liked that ^^ But randombly being thrown around isn't something I like very much. I feel frustrated when loosing controll. I'm the player, not the game.

Yeah, maybe it would be a little frustrating if you got transported randomly but then again, the point of the game is to feel lost :P

I didnt think of having any portals at all, i thought more like of you left the point you got teleported to with a special distance you get teleported. Maybe there could be a discrete effect that make the ground get burnt a little when you get near that specific distance.

Hi,

I don't see how this could be turned into a fall game really.

All I can see is it turning into something like Seriema mentioned. Going through X door while holding Y item to get to Z place to find XX item. Repeat until you get to the final 'boss'.

The only saving grace would be if you had a REALLY awesome story that drove the player. If you found out snippets of what was going on and if item + door -> place combinations began making sense when related to elements of the story.

As a silly example, say you had the braclet item and you entered the bedroom door, it took you too the graveyard. It turns out the main characters wife was murdered in the bedroom and the braclet was hers.

- Chris

I actually think that idea, if refined a bit, could work really well. Especially for some kind of survival horror game where you want the player to feel unnerved.

They used a similar system (kinda) in Silent Hill 4: The Room to great success.

Yesterday, I was watwhing a series called "Medium", I think, in French, in which a woman, a medium, has nightmares about the current police case.

Maybe you could do it this way.

You are playing a cop in a Silent Hill like environment, something pretty bleak, for a start, and not much is happening. Strange noises, but no one to be seen. You walk for a while, reach a save point, and start t sleep. Then, during the sleep, you PLAY (and this is an important concept here) through a sort of cut scene, in which you are the main character of your dream while not being the same character as when awake. You live through TWO different stories during one game. The first is merely a detective story, with you trying to find the reason of something, and the second being REALLY creepy with possible disgusting backgrounds, or sound effects, or maybe just something wrong, but you can't tell (remember that episode of Twin Peaks with the circus? It was filmed with the actors playing BACK through the scene, and was edited with the movie going FORTH. You knew something was wrong in the images, but couldn't quite place it...)

The fact that you were dreaming, and the player knew it, would let the character feel normal, while the player felt lost for a while before catching up a bit. And you could explain quite easily the teleportation.

Until the "awaken" character started teleporting too. THERE, it got too creepy...

Feeling lost and feeling frustrated are pretty close. Feeling lost without a reason or purpose or sense of direction (i.e. hope) is just frustrating. If I just kidnapped you and dumped you in a random forest you don't recognize, you'd feel lost - but would you feel entertained?..

As mentioned above, if the teleportation seems to have a purpose I think it would be awesome and add alot. Randomness in itself isn't always fun.

Quote:
Original post by Seriema
If I just kidnapped you and dumped you in a random forest you don't recognize, you'd feel lost - but would you feel entertained?..

I'd feel scared, or in a game context, I might feel frustrated. But if I felt like I could use my ingenuity and intelligence to get out of the situation ("Ok, which way is the sun, and what time is it? Right, now I know what direction I'm going in...", etc), and felt like I was making progress somehow (either actually making progress through the world, or making progress in learning about the world), then it would be a fun challenge (which is entertaining).

John B

I think the concept has merit. However, Look at it from a different point of view. As an action game or something it wouldn't work, frustration would abound.

However, if you tie a story like this into a classic Myst style of play, where you need to solve the puzzles as you randomly teleport around between a number of fixed locations then you could get a pretty good story/game out of it.

The key is of course balancing the randomness with the way the game needs to go.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!