Transparency blending

Started by
15 comments, last by Kalidor 17 years, 11 months ago
I'm working on a particle system and I'm stuck on getting them blended the correct way. I have 2 ways of blending that i want to put in my engine: 1. transparency 2. additive the way i'm doing my particles is by texture so i've been messing around with the glBlendFunc() and glTexEnvi() functions. Also, when I create my texture, i should be doing something like this, right? glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, m_lWidth, m_lHeight, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_FLOAT, ilGetData()); Note: i'm using OpenIL (DevIL) for loading textures. To achieve the two effects i want for my particles, what combinations of glBlendFunc() and glTexEnvi() functions should i do? Edit: forgot to mention the texture i'm using for my particles is just a white circle that has an alpha of 0.0f on the outside and as it gets closer to the middle it fades to an alpha of 1.0f
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
Regular: GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
Additive: GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE (or maybe GL_DST_ALPHA)
Quote:Original post by Boder
Regular: GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
Additive: GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE (or maybe GL_DST_ALPHA)

yes this is parameters for glBlendFunc and be sure that you have turn the depth test.
those aren't working... is there a certain glTexEnvi() i should pass? or maybe i'm using glTexImage2D() wrong?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
The default texEnv should be fine, I believe it is GL_MODULATE.

Make sure to call glEnable( GL_BLEND ); to enable blending [smile] Hope this helps.
Does the texture have an alpha channel? Is it really a floating point texture?
yes blending is enabled.

yea, the texture has an alpha channel and it's using GL_FLOAT for it's components and GL_RGBA
do I need to change the format to GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE?
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666
do I need to change the format to GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE?
If that's the data type that ilGetData returns the image as, yes you should be using that instead of GL_FLOAT.

It looks like ilGetData does indeed return an array of unsigned bytes.
ok... not even that is working.. so, here's my entire code for loading and rendering a texture.. what could be wrong?

bool cWTexture::Load(std::string Filename){	FILE *file = NULL;			if (IsLoaded())		Shutdown();			if (Filename == "")		return cWUtility::ErrorLog.Write("cWTexture::Load() no filename");			// Check if file exists	file = fopen(Filename.c_str(), "r");	if (file == NULL)		return cWUtility::ErrorLog.Write("cWTexture::Load() no file ", Filename);	fclose(file);	ilGenImages(1, &m_ILTexID);	ilBindImage(m_ILTexID);	if (ilLoadImage((const ILstring)Filename.c_str()) == IL_FALSE)		return cWUtility::ErrorLog.Write("cWTexture::Load() ilLoadImage() failed");	if (ilConvertImage(IL_RGBA, IL_UNSIGNED_BYTE) == IL_FALSE)		return cWUtility::ErrorLog.Write("cWTexture::Load() ilConvertImage() failed");	glGenTextures(1, &m_TexID);	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_TexID);	m_lWidth = ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_WIDTH);	m_lHeight = ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, m_lWidth, m_lHeight, 		0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, ilGetData());	return true;}// then a pointer to this texture is set to the particle system.. then here's the renderbool cWEmitter::RenderParticles(){	if (m_bActive == true)	{		if (Update() == false)			return false;            		float PosX, PosY, PosZ;		float TexLeft, TexRight, TexTop, TexBottom;		float FraWidth, FraHeight;		sWParticle* Particle;		cWUtility::sWPosition *Pos;					TexLeft = m_FrameSrcRect.left * 1.0f / m_pEmitterDef->m_pTex->GetWidth();		TexRight = m_FrameSrcRect.right * 1.0f / m_pEmitterDef->m_pTex->GetWidth();		TexTop = m_FrameSrcRect.top * 1.0f / m_pEmitterDef->m_pTex->GetHeight();		TexBottom = m_FrameSrcRect.bottom * 1.0f / m_pEmitterDef->m_pTex->GetHeight();		for (unsigned long i=0 ; i<m_ParticleVList.GetNetItems() ; i++)		{			Particle = m_ParticleVList.GetItem((long)i);			Pos = &Particle->m_Pos;						FraWidth = ((m_FrameSrcRect.right - m_FrameSrcRect.left) * 0.5f) * Pos->ScaleX;			FraHeight = ((m_FrameSrcRect.bottom - m_FrameSrcRect.top) * 0.5f) * Pos->ScaleY;			PosX = Pos->X;			PosY = Pos->Y;			PosZ = Pos->Z;			// Position particle			glTranslatef(PosX, PosY, -PosZ);							glRotatef(Pos->Radian * (180/W_PI), 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);			// Bind the texture			glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_pEmitterDef->m_pTex->GetTextureID());			// Draw particle			glBegin(GL_QUADS);			{				// Set color				//glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE, Particle->m_Color);				// Top-left				glTexCoord2d(TexLeft, TexTop);				glVertex3f(-FraWidth, FraHeight, 0.0f);				// Bottom-left				glTexCoord2d(TexLeft, TexBottom);				glVertex3f(-FraWidth, -FraHeight, 0.0f);								// Bottom-right				glTexCoord2d(TexRight, TexBottom);				glVertex3f(FraWidth, -FraHeight, 0.0f);				// Top-right				glTexCoord2d(TexRight, TexTop);				glVertex3f(FraWidth, FraHeight, 0.0f);			}			glEnd();		}	} else		return false;	return true;} 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement