game content preping

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
id like to know more of the things like placing the model at 0,0,0, animating in one spot, other things that a game artist need to know for their game conent to work ingame. things in general that can be apllied to any game, preparing for the export stage, such like every game model must be a mesh and not a poly thanks
__________WIPCurrently learning 3dsmax modeling and C++ programming for my game. Advice and comments are wanted
Advertisement
All of the questions you're asking really depend on your engine's workflow. I couldn't give you an honest answer one way or the other.
I guess there cant realy be an answer to my questions, but atleast is there any article that touches on these things a bit?
__________WIPCurrently learning 3dsmax modeling and C++ programming for my game. Advice and comments are wanted
Look at documentation for whatever engine your using, and the model/texture importer/exporter that goes with the engine.
Generally you'll want to triangulate your models, reduce your textures to 256 colors in the proper format (TGA or DDS usually), and then each exporter is different. Usually they will only export what's needed, so you don't need to worry about throwing away your rig, etc. But too general a question to really thoroughly answer.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Thats exactly what im talking about, even if its vuage info. I need it. I have worked with premade engines (mods, hobby-ist engine) and have got my content through (with the programmer always having to say 'dude you forgot to convert you model into MESH mode!'). So i do know a little, but id like you guys to put out whatever info you know about game content making in general. And clarify on whatever if you can

Heres what i know, you open your 3d modeler, creat a pologon mesh, then uvmap it and apply a texture, rig it to a rig and animate it, then export it to whatever format... But see, im missing many steps, i forgot to convert it to mesh mode (triaglation), i animated it away from the 0,0,0 space, i also forget to use xform to reset the mesh history. Many other tihngs that i dont know yet or forgot

Can someone state how they would go about creating game content in general, for landscape and charcters, inlcude the technical side like having to animate in one spot... Well if you can help then awesome but i do understand what im asking here - every game engine handels content somewhat different from each other, but i think they all have a general procedure to follow, so no, i dont expect someone to know how to answer my question, but whatever you know is porbly yuseful to me
I can swear I went over this somewhere else, but here goes:
Create your skeleton, using some generic human proportions.
Model a character based on this skeleton.
Freeze transformations/XForm/delete history, all that jazz, clean up any duplicated edges/0 surface polies, etc.
UVMap and texture.
Bind the character to the bone system (using Skin modifier or Maya Smooth Bind) and export.

Take your bone system and character, and rig it (create a series of controls and expressions for the animation).
Animate it, never using a translation on any bone.
Export either the animations individually, or all in the same file and record what animation occurs when, depending on your engine.

If you want specifics for 3ds and the Rome: Total War engine and/or Maya and the Source engine I can do those.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Can you tell me more about the animation part? Like what is it that should be used to always keep the model stuck at 0,0,0. And more about the xform/freeze process, what is it all about?

Prehaps youd like to inspect my model and see if im doing things correct, or if theres a better way

Ill PM you the file if you are willing, its in .max format

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement