• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Leo_E_49

Primary costs of game devlopment?

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Where, in your experience, do most of the expenses come from on a game development project? (if you're allowed to disclose this, I'm not asking for figures, just a general idea) e.g. motion capture, QA outsourcing, team salary payments, server maintenance, etc. Please mention what kind of game was being produced, AAA (not expecting many of these :p) or Indie title. To simplify, please only state the top 5 items. I'm not asking for specific projects either, just generalise as much as you want. Thanks for your input, this is not for anything other than just personal interest, I'm not doing a study on it or anything. :)

Advertisement
Ours isn't the average. We're doing an MMORPG. The biggest costs will be the servers and the bandwidth/hosting of the servers, followed by the lawyer (contracts, trademarks, IP stuff) and then the software. We're odd in that the dev team is working for contigency pay; they'll only get paid if the MMORPG launches and makes money to pay them with.

Salaries 60%
Purchased art and sound assets 25%
Software Tools 5%
overhead (internet connection/etc) 7%
Computers 3%

Cheers
Chris

I agree with everything said.

- Salaries
- Art
- Music
- Software (engine, copy protection...)
- Hardware (this is usually bigger in the beginning of first game, and gets lower in the future as there's no need to buy new computer every single year...)

I still would like to add:
- Web hosting costs
- Marketing/prmotional items (ads, promotion tools, payments in download sites etc.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!