Primary costs of game devlopment?

Started by
4 comments, last by PolycountProductions 17 years, 11 months ago
Where, in your experience, do most of the expenses come from on a game development project? (if you're allowed to disclose this, I'm not asking for figures, just a general idea) e.g. motion capture, QA outsourcing, team salary payments, server maintenance, etc. Please mention what kind of game was being produced, AAA (not expecting many of these :p) or Indie title. To simplify, please only state the top 5 items. I'm not asking for specific projects either, just generalise as much as you want. Thanks for your input, this is not for anything other than just personal interest, I'm not doing a study on it or anything. :)
Advertisement
Ours isn't the average. We're doing an MMORPG. The biggest costs will be the servers and the bandwidth/hosting of the servers, followed by the lawyer (contracts, trademarks, IP stuff) and then the software. We're odd in that the dev team is working for contigency pay; they'll only get paid if the MMORPG launches and makes money to pay them with.
Interesting! :) I'm surprised that your dev team accepted such a deal. Best of luck to you!
Leo asked:

>Where, in your experience, do most of the expenses come from on a game development project?

The personnel. See project cost breakdown in FAQ 62 on my site - http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm. Personnel costs are always the biggest cost, far and away.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Salaries 60%
Purchased art and sound assets 25%
Software Tools 5%
overhead (internet connection/etc) 7%
Computers 3%

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
I agree with everything said.

- Salaries
- Art
- Music
- Software (engine, copy protection...)
- Hardware (this is usually bigger in the beginning of first game, and gets lower in the future as there's no need to buy new computer every single year...)

I still would like to add:
- Web hosting costs
- Marketing/prmotional items (ads, promotion tools, payments in download sites etc.)
---Polycount Productions - An Indie Online Multiplayer Games CompanyGameProducer.net - Daily Ideas, Hints and Inspiration for Indie Game DevelopersIndie Game Sales Statistics - downloads, sales and other figures

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement