• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy

directX graphics

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to do some directX9 programming with c++, and I dont want to do managed (not a fan of .net). 1) It seems the programming looks only as good as the graphics, and where can i creat 3d graphics quickly (or at all)? 2) what about terrain, is it harder to traverse a 3d terrain compared to just moving a 3d image on screen? (i will check the resouces as well why i am here) thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jagguy
1) It seems the programming looks only as good as the graphics, and where can i creat 3d graphics quickly (or at all)?
Did you mean the other way around? "graphics look only as good as the programming"? That would make more sense - a decent graphics engine/result is often 20% smart coding and 80% excellent artwork.

Look into the various modelling packages - Wings3D and Blender are both free. I find Blender very difficult to use, but Wings3D is pretty intuitive and handles simple stuff easily.

Quote:
Original post by jagguy
2) what about terrain, is it harder to traverse a 3d terrain compared to just moving a 3d image on screen?
They're essentially the same thing.. but "traverse" and "moving" could be interpretted differently, so a bit more detail might be useful. Moving across the surface of a terrain is more about mathematics than it is graphics, and moving any geometry in 3D is typically represented by a bunch of matrix operations.

Cheers,
Jack

i meant moving over terrain with say a arrow keys. with the screen moving up when you go over a hill etc. So it is from the user perspective and things on the terrain will move as well like trees.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!