• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Procedural Generation

This topic is 4397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was watching the spore google vid a while back, and he kept mentioning something called "Procedural Generation". What exactly is it? I mean, I'm guessing the code creats stuff as the game progresses but thats not exactly a detailed deduction...

Advertisement
It's pretty much what it sounds like. Instead of, say, loading a texture from a file, or storing in advance the locations of all the trees in your forest, this information is generated by the relevant modules of your engine in real-time.

Yeah - but in spore we're not talking pretty textures or trees - we're talking about the animations of the units themselves being procedurally generated depending on what the creature YOU create looks like.

Freaking awesome.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by AfroFire
Yeah - but in spore we're not talking pretty textures or trees - we're talking about the animations of the units themselves being procedurally generated depending on what the creature YOU create looks like.

Freaking awesome.
So was B&W's AI supposed to be and it turned out to be crap. I'd hope at least people in game development boards wouldn't be so quick to believe in hype.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!