• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cyrys

Is Display Mode DirectX supports the same as Display Mode Windows OS supports?

This topic is 4455 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My application needs to run on old-hardware computer,such as Intel 810 chip.On the 810-chip computer,I can find 24-bit color in desktop settings.But In my DirectX application(developed in DX9.0b SDK),I only find 16-bit color.The display capacity is too poor to complete my work,though it can run. Is Display Mode DirectX supports the same as Display Mode Windows OS supports? Thank you!

Advertisement
In this case the OS has modes that DX doesn't support. 3D chips don't support 24 bit rendering (IIRC there were one or two who did in the history of 3D chips) -- only 16 bit or 32 bit. In the case of that integrated chip only 16 bit is available (which is true for some other very old chips, like Voodoo3 and back). In some other cases, D3D has access to modes that the desktop doesn't (like 10 bits per component).

In short, yes, display modes and D3D modes are different. (In fact, the resolutions themselves may be different, not just colour depths.)

[Edited by - ET3D on May 8, 2006 12:30:02 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!