• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pepsi500

help creating a client

This topic is 4459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me. I play a game online (multiplayer). Now when I boot the game up i have to click on create game. I then have to log into a chatroom and give out my IP address for other players to join. They then have to boot there game up, click join, select the tcp/ip button on the game, type in my ip and click join. then we can all play. the problem is i want to cut all that out. Is there something I can create or someone can create for me, I dont expect anything free, i wouldnt dream of asking that. I was thinking a program that everyone downloads and runs, there is a host game button and a join game button. one nice big chatroom in the middle of client so everyone can see which games they wanna join and who with? when u click host game you go into a little mini chatroom max number of people is 8. then when you are ready you click launch and your game boots up and puts your right into the great game all ready done, then the other 7 players auto connect in the game. is this possible? i was thinking somehting like the winmx client how everyone connects to a chatroom because your running the client. i have done a quick phtoshop image as an example: main room and a room a user could creat or a user can join: http://66.49.250.136/main.jpg http://66.49.250.136/host.jpg the launch button would only work if the host of the room clicks it, if he does all players in the small room join his game. The players in the main lobby and other game are uneffected. The join button is for any user in the lobby to click on the rooms list at the bottom and see a game he or she wants to play, they left click the room then click join. they then enter that room waiting for the host to start. You cant enter more than 1 room at the same time, that would be bad. I also want the chat to somehow run from everyone own computer basicaly so noone can get into the chat UNLESS you run the client. I want them to register a username and password also. I am an slq server all ready. so before the cleint is promted is asks for there username and password before it allos them access to outgoing connections. I need it allm built in? do any of you have a clue what i am blabbering on about? can you point me into the right direction! I just dont want to use the IP swapping anymore I want to try and create my own cleint or pay someone to do it for me. Once i have it i will send it across the net for free so everyone can enjoy the game i like! aint bothered if it costs me, i will maybe stick a logo on the client or something from an advertiser who knows... just need this client made!

Advertisement
I have written exactly what you want, I think – a server for corralling a lobby and allowing people to create various 'minigames' and a client to connect to it.

Screenshot of client

I'm planning to make it free so you would be able to use it if you like, or take suitable inspiration from the source. As long as I get some acknowledgement ;). You'd have to have a central server for everyone to connect to, obviously. It's not been tested under any sort of load so I might have made lots of mistakes that would stop it actually working, of course.

Game types are added to the client as plugin DLLs, and can be added to the server if you want cheat-resistant serverside games. (For anyone who cares, Abaria itself is implemented as one of those.)

The 'minigames' still go through the central server in my implementation; you might want to change that to a client directly hosting the minigame. There are arguments for both ways.

If you want to know more I'll rig up a rudimentary CodeProject article (with the source) and post a link.

your one very clever person!

very nice work.
That is fabulous!
Would you be willing to comstomise it for me?
If i show you what i would like you can say how much?
I think its great your willing to do the release for free but I want to gve you something for your effort!

email me daviduk911@hotmail.com

as soon as you can :)
excellent!

Okay, well the current state of play is up at
this CodeProject page. There is no article (I'm off to watch football now, I'll do it later) but the source might interest a few people.

If you want me to customise it for you then we can perhaps talk business terms. I'll drop you an email after the Leeds-Preston game ;). If you are happy just to take what I have and adapt it, I'd be happy with an acknowledgement really because I'd written this code anyway so you didn't cost me any effort!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!