• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Malal

Funny: Who knew Game Design was so easy?

This topic is 4452 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Yea, thats real. Michael jackson doesent touch little boys, and I have an old magick rope to sell you.

Why does her designing a game depend upon someone else playtesting one of her old ones?

To answer your question, yes that is a real commercial. Westwood College Online runs several of them taking careers that "sound really fun!" and making it seem like by buying your diploma from them, that they are easily attainable.

Some of the programs they offer are "Become an uber famous fashion designer", appealing to every 13 year old girls dream of being the one that designs clothes. They also offer some overhyped "criminal justice" degree, that makes it seem like every day of your life will be like an episode of Law and Order. Finally the one that irks me is the game design one. I'm not paying $35,000 a year to a real college for computer science to do something that a purchased diploma can convey. The stuff that all of us do, is hard work. They appeal to the masses desire to "Play (and sometimes make) Really Cool Video Games!!" Yet they nowhere mention that it actually does take a lot of work, and that no one just "Becomes" a game DESIGNER, you have to have another skill and work your way up.

Westwood college sells diplomas for fields that sound fun, but I doubt there are any success stories from their customers.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ishpeck
Why does her designing a game depend upon someone else playtesting one of her old ones?

nhl94, nhl95, nhl96, nhl97, nhl98, etc, etc, etc

she is probably working at EA Sports, they don't make new games, they just dust off the old ones and sell them under a new name.

Given that they have a .edu address, it means they are accredited, which means that they have real study requirements. I e, you'll typically have to study for two years to get an Associate's Degree, and four years to get a Bachelour's Degree.

Also, that commercial is actually for game testers, not for the designer. Game testers, at the entry level, make $8/hour or so, and probably need no degree at all (in fact, people in school, working on degrees, often do it).

Now, would I prefer a degree from, say, Berkeley, or UofI, over one from Westwood? Quite likely. But in the end, it's the individual candidate who makes or breaks the case.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!