Ogre WIP ZBrush/3DSMax/Deep paint3D

Started by
13 comments, last by Sand 17 years, 11 months ago
"You can use triangles, especially in places that don't deform."

But if you want to bring the model into ZBrush (which I am not) or tessellate the model in game quads is important, you are suppose to stay clear of triangles then.

But yes it makes sense to allow triangles on none flexing areas like the teeth or maybe on the top of the head the rest is rather flexing when it moves.

Advertisement
Generally, you want to make the high-poly version first, from very simple all-quad geometry, then make the low poly version on top of that (using the hi-poly as a snappable grid, AKA making it Live in Maya). It makes alot of headaches to make the low-poly first, then put it into ZBrush. In fact, I've never spoken with a game artist that does it the other way, and from experience, you'll see that it works alot better to do hi-res first.
Also, ingame tesselation for characters is something extremely resource-intensive, and something I've never seen used (one of those DX10 things, I think?). Very few games will use this for a while, first work on your current and next-gen techniques, such as modelling, texturing, normal mapping, etc., then move onto techniques we won't see in games for a while.
Even film models use triangles in areas of no deformation (for heads, the cranium doesn't need as much geometry, so the loops from the face are usually closed off.
-------------www.robg3d.com
I created the high-resolution version in Z Brush based on a low polygon primitive from Max. That’s why I didn't know the final shape when I started in Max/ZBrush it was defined in ZBrush first and the low polygon I got after the process in Z Brush had Jagged polygons at important edges like around month eyes. There where no loops of quads around eyes and mouth etc. I have sense then learned how to use ZBrush sphere modeling to create a very basic head mesh with circling quads around month, eyes, ears neck etc. So next model I will try this way of working out more I just made a test with it.

In ZBrush 2.5 this snap modeling to surface will let you make a new more effective mesh on top of the original ZBrush model. Right now I did that in 3DSMax. However I don't know if Max can snap the to another model while you are modeling a new one. So I had to work in the air doing this model, but it took OK time anyway and I have full control. I will continue to use Brush and Max this way a bit longer until I see the "light". At least for more complex heads. Bodies can be done the way you describe.

Yes DirectX10 hardware is what I am aiming for a bit it has displacment for models which is nice.
Hi, to snap to polygons in max right click on the snap icon (the magnet with the 3 on it) and tick face. You may want to make sure that is the only option selected. Now make sure the magnet button is pressed and your selection will snap to polygons
Hi Thanks for the tool tips / advice, it works really well I am a happy camper. Many thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement