Confused

Started by
12 comments, last by yaustar 17 years, 11 months ago
I am sure all of you have seen this before from a newbie or two, but I am desperate now. I have been reading some tutorials and surfing the net for C++ programming training. I have been to the chat toom and have been told to take a class. I wish I could trust me, but that is not an option at this point. I am asking of an individual who knows C++ to teach /tutor me on this. Not demanding time, just needing someone to help me learn this language. I have been wanting to learn how to make games since I was sixteen. I am not twenty two and time grows short. If anyone would not mind teaching an absolute n00b how to program, I would greatly appreciate it. I have read tutorials and cannot understand this correctly without someone to ask questions to as they are in my head. Please serious responses only.
Advertisement
You don't need a "tutor" to ask questions, you can just ask them in this forum, which will give you quick responses any time of the day. Also learning to program takes many years I doubt someone would want to always be available to you while you are learning. Most people in this forum are friendly and wouldn't mind answering your questions, whatever they may be.
Well what I am trying to say is I don't know wtf I am doing. I look at code an dI can understand SOME of the basic stuff just from some of the tutorials I have read. I live person would be good. And I am sure someone would be willing at least just for the basics. By the way. Add me to MSN if interested. fire_strays@yahoo.com
You should just get a beginning C++ book. People swear by tutorials, and though they are useful, they just can't beat a good book. IMO
Cash is limited but in the free time I am not working and supporting my wife I have quit playing games now and trying to dive into this. I know I have to crawl before I can walk and etc to run. Is there not someone that would take like an or hour or two every other day or every other 2-3 days to learn me?
Guess not... Sorry I bothered you guys.
Well, what are you stuck on?

If cash is a problem, there are quite a few free ebooks out there for C++.
Thinking in C++ Vol 1 is a great free eBook.

A huge list of ebooks

Also take into account that this is a forum, not a chat room so don't expect instant replies between posts.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Humm, i was reading a couple of thread about beginner wanting to learn programming.

My advice to you, if you didnt start programming "yet": i strongly suggest you to start off using something way more easy than C++.

The first thing you need is to understand programming (the basics: conditional expression, loop, variables, ....) then, you can move on to whatever you want to. Learning programming isn't about learning a language it's about learning the philosophy of programming, to think like a programmer.

C++ is a really powerfull language, but what is power without knowledge? C++ is a triky language & use a complex syntax. Maybe, VB would be a better choice (since its almost plain english) or C# or ... take a look at other thread about starting programming.

And as others said, ask here, there's alot of good programmers in here.

PS: Another good tip, read, read, read, READ, READ, READ... (simple right :P)

Good luck to you,
Jonathan
There are a few aspects of learning to program and your problems will usually fit into one of a few areas early on, branching out more as you continue learning.

For absolute beginners who have never programmed before, the first step is picking a language, which you have done. Next, they must have a way of turning the code of that language into a program that runs. C++ has several programs that can turn your code into a program of its own. These include Microsoft Visual C++ edititions(I think it is up to 2005), devC++ with a bundled compiler, and code::blocks which uses I think the same compiler, but can use others.

So you get a program and you try typing in your first program and it doesn't work. This we can help you out with. Just say "I typed [CODE} into [COMPILER NAME] and the error window said I had [ERRORS]. and replace with what the tutorial or book asked you to type in, [COMPILER] with the program you were using to type and compile your code, and [ERROR] with any errors that showed up.

If you can get a compiler program, even a simple one, you're pretty far along. Next is learning new features of the language. Once again if you have problems just say what they are. Post your code you tried or didn't understand. Like:

"I saw this code: for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++) and didn't know what it did, could you help explain?" and we'll do our best to help you out.

A good book will usually have all the information you need to get started, and may even tell you how to use a specific compiler. These are nice, because each compiler is someone unique so if one tutorial says "do x, y, and z" but your compiler doesn't have y, you're going to have problems.

Hoped this helped a bit.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

If money is an issue, perhaps consider getting a book from the library to get your feet wet?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement