• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jonas B

Volumetric textures?

This topic is 4456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm creating a color picker where I want to let the user look at any "vivisection" of a color cube (RGB, HSB, L*a*b etc), and a volumetric texture sounds like the right way - but Google doesn't find any good docs for me. What hardware is required? Are colors interpolated between layers just like between textels? Any good tutorials? Thanks!

Advertisement
I don't have Excel installed on this machine, but you should be able to find the hardware specs in the CardCaps.xls document that comes with the DX SDK (since October 2005?). Volume texture support isn't too exotic, so I think most SM2+ cards should support at least some formats (though max size will probably vary).

The interpolation between the layers (or z-slices) is determined by the filtering option you set on the sampler, which is used for both texel and layer interpolation. AFAIK it's not possible to for example use linear filtering for the texels and point filtering for the layers, but please correct me if I'm wrong, it would help me a bit if this is false.

Over at MDXInfo we have a little tool for creating and viewing volume textures, which comes with the C# sources. The creation part is a bit messy, but the viewer part should make for a nice example. I believe either the June 2003 SDK or the MDX Kickstart Book also provides a basic sample on Volume Textures.

Great! Is there any source for the tool? I need to test if arbitrarily rotating the texture "cube" and cutting it up in different planes can give me the kind of results I want.

The ZIP archive on that page should contain both the precompiled binary as well as the source code for the complete app. If not, let me know and I'll correct that [smile]

Ouch, that was sloppy of me - they're indeed all in there. I'm just so used to source and bin being two separate zips...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!