Breaking into the Game Industry: CV and Demo Question

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
Okay a quick bit of background. - I studied for 3 years at University of Pretoria. I was presented with a choice, do a degree and get a piece of paper or learn relevant things. I took the later route. I studied a BSC:IT (Computer Systems). I threw out the business, and infomatics and replaced it with more physics, maths and some design courses. Thinking my education was more important than paper. - So I moved from South Africa into the United Kingdom, and since September I have lost count of the amount of applications and interviews I have done. Further education, as much as I would like to, is not a financial option for me at the moment. So I'm currently working Tech Support for the evil makers of ipods. Oh and not that it should make any difference but I should mention I'm a geek goth girl. Q: What if anything can I do to improve my CV that wont break my pocket? Q: Currently I'm working on a large game, should I instead focus on small demos? Q: Any other suggestions for a lone South African in UK?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kimau
Q: What if anything can I do to improve my CV that wont break my pocket?
Q: Currently I'm working on a large game, should I instead focus on small demos?

You should work on whatever gets you the best results. If you can finish your large game, that'd look great on your CV. If you can't, well, it's worthless, whereas several smaller demos will look great.

Quote:Oh and not that it should make any difference but I should mention I'm a geek goth girl.

Haha, well, you probably already know that really extreme looks can be a bad idea at job interviews. (No clue what you look like, obviously, but I've seen *some* goth girls whose appearance could count against them in "normal" jobs. [wink]

Oh and one little question... What exactly is it you do? [lol]
You mentioned physics and math as well as something IT, so I'm guessing it might be programming. But you never actually said so. That'd make it a lot easier to come up with some useful advice. [wink]

Quote:
Q: Any other suggestions for a lone South African in UK?

Hmm, meet people, make contacts, is probably the best I can do. [grin]
Sorry I'm a programmer. I have a passion for AI and graphics, but my maths still needs me to check my work. I've got 3rd year Uni maths but I scrapped it.

But yes I'm a programmer. As for my appearnece I try keep it in check, however I know I look a goth girl, hey identity is identity. I do try keep it in check.
Q: Currently I'm working on a large game, should I instead focus on small demos?

A completed, small demo, that shows off your skills should be much better than a large game with lots of unfinished stuff. If you have a large game, with some very good stuff, but also some unfinished, lower quality stuff, their overal impression may be put down by that. Only show them your best work.
Of course, a real big project will impress them also, but it's just so much more work, and it's not really worth it.
Quote:Original post by quasar3d

A completed, small demo, that shows off your skills should be much better than a large game with lots of unfinished stuff. If you have a large game, with some very good stuff, but also some unfinished, lower quality stuff, their overal impression may be put down by that. Only show them your best work.
Of course, a real big project will impress them also, but it's just so much more work, and it's not really worth it.

If you actually finish and successfully release a large game on your own --- guess what? You are in the industry!
Kim wrote:
>I studied for 3 years at University of Pretoria. I was presented with a choice, do a degree and get a piece of paper or learn relevant things. I took the later route.

That's too bad, that you didn't stick it through with the degree.

>I studied a BSC:IT (Computer Systems). ... Thinking my education was more important than paper.

It is, but the degree shows that you can persevere through a long effort.

> Further education, as much as I would like to, is not a financial option for me at the moment.

Well, that hand was played. The past is the past.

>So I'm currently working Tech Support for the evil makers of ipods.

That's a good thing.

>Oh and not that it should make any difference but I should mention I'm a geek goth girl.

It doesn't.

>Q: What if anything can I do to improve my CV that wont break my pocket?

Why would anything break your pocket?

>Q: Currently I'm working on a large game, should I instead focus on small demos?

You should make numerous demos until you have some that get you a job. Are you making these solo, or with a team? The former is no good. The latter is the way to go.

>Q: Any other suggestions for a lone South African in UK?

It doesn't matter that you're South African. So to reword your question: "Any other suggestions for a person in UK?" It doesn't matter that you're in UK. So to reword your question: "Any other suggestions?" Yeah. Keep trying. Keep improving your game-building skills, keep making demos. Work as part of a team, not by your geek goth lonesome.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Q: Any other suggestions for a lone South African in UK?
Whereabouts in the UK? If you are near to one of the UK IGDA chapters http://www.igda.org/chapters/ check it out. Good place to network/make contacts.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Yeah, I've looked at the IGDA chapters. The nearest one to me is Manchester. I emailed the chpater's email address twice in the last four months or so and I have recived no response either time.

By break my pocket I mean, anything I can do to improve my cv without spending lts of money.

I'm currently working solo on a game project I estimate will be complete in anything between 2-4 months time. I've been working on it for about 3 months, first two months were prototyping with paper and small code demos (not presentable).

Thanks for the advice
>By break my pocket I mean, anything I can do to improve my cv without spending lts of money.

Well, duh. But HOW could you spend money improving your CV? That's the part I don't get.

>I'm currently working solo on a game project I estimate will be complete in anything between 2-4 months time.

Too bad it's solo. Good thing it'll be done soon. Then you can find a team to cooperate with - that'll help you in more ways than you can imagine.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If i was an employer, and a goth wanted a job with me, i would definately refuse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement