• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Accelerated C++ vs. Essential C++

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok.. I've desided to buy a new book since I've found out that the one I got is a bit outdated and not so good.. I've looked at these two books.. but Im not sure witch one to choose.. I know some php and VB, and some basic c++, but I want a basic beginner book anyway.. to learn it from scratch.. So what do you got to say about them? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020170353X/sr=8-1/qid=1147067864/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1519223-6492106?%5Fencoding=UTF8 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201485184/qid=1147115504/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1519223-6492106?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Advertisement
I have the essential c++ book but just as the name says, they go to the essentional points of c++, they kinda expect you to have some programming experience. Not really the best book if you have no experience at all but if you just want to make a good start and start from scratch I would pick another book.

Buy both ;)

I havent read Esential C++, but i can recommend Accelerated C++ .. Quite nice (though the application one develops trough the book sucked, it gave a nice intro to C++)

Good luck :)

Good choice!!

Andrew Koeing is one of the best sources of C++ knowledge around and I really enjoyed their writing style. I don't think it hurt that the authors worked with Bjarne at ATT.

Cheers
Chris

Bjarne Stroustrup, he is the original author of C++.

It was kindof odd for me to refer to him like that,Its not like I know the man:)

Cheers
Chris

hehe :) hum.. someone have rated me down.. who hates me? guess I've been asking to many noob questions.. :)

<ot>Stroustrup probably wouldn't care. I've emailed him a few times, and read TC++PL. By the way he writes, formality doesn't seem like one of the man's top priorities. Although, that's just the impression I got from reading things he's written. Could be wrong. </ot>

Koenig is a pretty good writer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement