• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] My own C++ Forum

This topic is 4275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So the C++ programming is about 90% completed for just the forum itself. Now, I have the designing left to do. Now I'm wondering if I'm allowed to use gamedev as a template for the design. ( Including the icons, emoticons, layout design etc ) I would like to know up to what extent I can/should copy gamedev's forum.

Advertisement
Look and feel can not be copywrited, so legally you can make it look like it. If you feel good about it that is another thing.

theTroll

Why dont you come up with your own original design?
It would be known as YOUR forum!
just my 2cent

Quote:
Original post by alexmullins
Why dont you come up with your own original design?
It would be known as YOUR forum!
just my 2cent

Because that takes a lot of time and thinking to make my own.
gamedev's forum is just a starting place. It's probably going to end up with more features than gamedev, so I can put a little of my creative then. ( I question better the performance than gamedev though )

Why are you tearing us apart?! We will be spread like wildfire, tearing through forums, never finding a home! Haha. Sorry, I felt like acting. I'm kidding. If I were you though, I would use my own design. It is a conscience issue. No one want ssomeone to walk up to them and say, "Hey, that looks exactly like [enter big company here]'s work!". You normally want them to say "Wow! Now that's original. I hereby, with no power at all, doubt thee the design of [enter your company name here]".

Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
Look and feel can not be copywrited, so legally you can make it look like it.

Trademark law applies.

Quote:
Original post by Tradone
Now I'm wondering if I'm allowed to use gamedev as a template for the design. ( Including the icons, emoticons, layout design etc )

Icons: no.
Emoticons: no.
Layout: yes.

You can't take anything verbatim from here and use it yourself. No copy and pasting or downloading the stuff you want. However you can create your own designs based upon what you see, should you know how to recreate it yourself.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Emoticons: no.

Are the emoticons made by the gamedev.net designers?

Do not copy any images strait from gamedev (like icons, etc) without permission, because you don't know who owns them. Just go to google images, or google for free emoticons, etc. There are so many freely available sets of simple images that there is just no reason not to follow the rules on a case like this (and it doesn't help if you piss off a forum you like so much). Course I doubt gamedev care at all about the emoticons and such, but there's no reason not to at least ask them for permission directly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement