• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

i need help, real noob here

This topic is 4273 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is gamedev a real program. If so where can i get it? I need a game programming program

Advertisement
You should clarify whether you are looking to learn how to program or if you just want a sort of game making program that you point and click things.

Is a website that has a game maker that allows you to make games without any lines of code apparently, I however have not used it.
http://www.gamemaker.nl/

Or if you are looking to learn to program you're going to need to pick a language and find a compiler. This site has some good articles for beginners that you could check out for deciding a language.

And also there are several threads on the forum with this topic, you could try using the search feature which is located on the top right of the forum page.

Good luck :)

Gamedev is not a program. There are no programs for making games. (An oversimplification, but it'll do for now.) What you want is a programming language. I suggest you take a look at the forum FAQ, specifically, the first question listed. Or you could google for 'Java developer kit', or 'getting started with Java'.

Quote:
Original post by King of Men
There are no programs for making games.

Sure there are

-AJ

I think I did mention it was an oversimplification. Anyway, I don't think I'd recommend that lot to anyone completely without programming experience.

Actually, a game maker would be a good place to start; it's what I did. Most have their own built-in scripting language to acompany the drog-and-drop elements, so you can learn the basics of programming without having to worry about all the weird quirks and problems that arise when programming in an actual language. After you get comfortable with your game maker, try moving on to a variant of Basic, or something else simple like Pascal, and then finally to a more complex language like C++ (most common in the games industry) or Java.

Quote:
Original post by King of Men
I think I did mention it was an oversimplification. Anyway, I don't think I'd recommend that lot to anyone completely without programming experience.

I'd suggesst you properly place your punctuation so as to express your intended point. Your 'an oversimplification, but it'll do for now' line in parenthases came after the period ending the previous sentance so it wouldn't apply to that sentance. To make the intended point, perhaps it should go more like:

There are no programs for making games (an oversimplification, but it'll do for now).

I'm very sorry if I'm sounding like an asshole, but it kind of irks me when someone says/writes something gramatically incorrect and then takes takes offense when I make a reply that assumes the author meant what they said/wrote. Anyway, it's about time to go to bed here, so I bid you all good evening.

-AJ

Oh, come now, there's no such rule. If I put a whole sentence in parenthesis, then it applies to whatever came before it, same as if I'd had the phrase alone as in your example. What else would it apply to?

The sentance proceeding it. Some people apply parenthases to a phrase/sentance proceeding it. In any case, we now know what you meant and it's a moot point. I apologize for the confusion.

-AJ

Quote:
Original post by edwood777
I need a game programming program

You want a program that makes games, or you want software that will allow you to program games? The two are different things. Note that you could potentially use the first as a lead-in to actual programming since plenty of these software packages offer simplified scripting languages and may teach you a bit about how things are structured even though they allow you to avoid most or all of the actual programming.

A program that makes games:
There are many programs like this around of varying levels of complexity and with different capabilities. Some of these programs are capable of producing very good games, and they'll usually be faster and simpler than actually programming a game yourself. The tradeoff for this is that they're more limited, and some game ideas may be difficult if not impossible with these packages. Some of these programs are freely available, others are not. Many will have free versions or trials but will have a commercial version with extra features.

You'll also have to choose one suitable for the type of game you want to make. If you're interested in interactive fiction you could try Inform (free). For old style adventure games you could have a look at Adventure Game Studio (also free). For something more general you could try Game Maker. u235 also linked 3 additional programs above, but I'm not familiar with those. If you want to look for other similar packages I'll let you either ask for recommendations from others or try Googling yourself.

You want to learn to program:
This is more difficult and time consuming, but allows you more control over the final product. You do have to make a commitment and stick with it, but plenty of people (myself included) find this very rewarding. If you want to learn to program games, you first need to choose a programming language to learn and get the tools required to program in it. It doesn't really matter which programming language; once you've learnt to program it's relatively easy to learn more languages, so it's a matter of picking one to start with and sticking with it - if you're really having trouble you could then consider a different one.

Personally I would recommend Python, as it's fairly beginner friendly (compared to other popular languages) and will allow some relatively quick results to keep you motivated, but will also encourage good programming practices and is somewhat similar to some of the other popular languages out there (such as C and C++). If you wanted to try this you can get everything you need from the download link on the Python website. They also have a good tutorial series, although I would recommend How To Think Like A Computer Scientist as a learning text for Python. You would first have to start off just learning the language, and could then move on to making some games using the PyGame library.

You could also choose a different programming language if you wanted, but I'll just leave it at Python unless you want to look into other options, as it would be my first recommendation if you want to learn to program.

Hope that helps. [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement