C++, DirectX, games, big noob, plz help

Started by
15 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 11 months ago
I am about 14 years old and have been wanting to start programming video games for some time now, I started doing things like DarkBasic and C++ about 7 months ago. I have learned very basic things about both of them, I have been trying very hard but all I know is how to print, manipulate variables very basically, and I am very etchy on classes and dont understand pointers at all. I was looking at DirectX. I heard that you could use that to fully use your graphics capabilities, so I gave it a try. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but all I see in all the tutorials is big long words and stuff that doesnt make the least bit of sense. The problem is that no one really explains it that well, I was wondering maybe this was all in advanced C++ and that's why I didnt understand it. Is this true, is it just advanced C++ and thats why I dont get it? What I really want to do, is to make a game with polygon like graphics, something like runescape. I would like to make an MMORPG. Me and my friend have been wanting to do this for awhile, but he has no clue what it really involves and I really am having the most trouble. Please do not tell me that I am kind of to young to be learning stuff such as C++, that it is to advanced for someone my age. I will try a much as it takes and go as long as it takes. Just please someone point me in the right direction, please I just need some direction. Thank You
Advertisement
Well i'm not telling you what you can and can't do but I would say that an MMO is probably a high goal to be shooting for. I am new at this also but to answer your question about DirextX, yes it is advanced and from what I understand and have heard (I don't know from experience) is something you will struggle with immensely until you have a firm grasp on your language of choice.

Also you being 14 doesn't mean you can't grasp the language, you don't seem unintelligent to me.

Maybe you could think of some cool things to do with the C++ you already know?

Write your own simple little programs and while they may seem impractical you are atleast gaining knowledge and experience. Like I said I'm not experienced in programming very much but one thing remains pretty true for just about any thing you will do and thats - practice makes perfect.

I personally have decided to chose Python because I heard it is easier than C++ because you don't have to deal with so many nuances and everything and you can really just focus on learning to program.

So anyway, if you want to learn with me as I go i'd be glad to have a learnin buddy :O

We could share idea's for little programs and what not and help eachother out with coding and what not you can hit me up in a PM or catch me on aim at bwishardcore555

Either way, good luck dude :)
Definately greater understanding of C++ is what you need at this stage. DirectX and OpenGL both use pointers pretty heavily etc.

Also the other major problem is both these libraries require some basic knowledge of some of the mathematical world like if you could learn about vectors, matrices etc it will be all of advantage

When I was starting with 3D libraries I found books on the subject quite useful. A lot of bookstores now stock games programming books. Try them out.
Sria, thank you very much for the offer. But i would like to stick with it in C++ for now, thank you though. And to say to deepdene, thank you also. Yes i will start to try and learn more about pointers and such. But i am a little confused, i really don't know what vectors are. I have heard that matrixes deal with landscaping but that's all i really know about them. And what kind of books do you suggest, i have a C++ book but i was thinking of getting this one that focuses more on game programming for C++. Do you think that is a good idea. Or have you had experience that says otherwise. I was also thinking of after that getting a book on game engines and than maybe 3d gaming. What do you think I should get first?
Hehe, no problem man, the offer still stands though if ya change your mind. But I would suggest beginning C++ game programming by Michael Dawson. I used it when I was using C++ at first and it is easy to understand. He explains vectors and what not and it will make you understand pretty easily.

Thanks, if i'm not mistaken that was the book that I was considering gettting. Thank you for confirming that it is a good book , i was worried i may be wasting my money.
Hi,

Vector and Matrix are basic component of Linear Algebrea.

Simply put, a vector is (like in programming) a list of values and a Matrix is a vector of vector.

Normally, in 3d, we use 4d vectors and 4x4 matrix.

A vector : V=[5,1,5]

A matrix : M=[4,2,3,4]
[5,5,1,2]
[3,2,4,5]
[4,6,2,6]

A vector represent a 3d point in space, and the matrix reprensent a system of equation, using both of them allows you to do some "magic" math ;), you will understand what i mean when you start Calculus (google this for more info about Linear Algebra).

As others already state, linear algebrea is the hearth of 3d api such as OpenGL and Dx. Without this knowledge, i doubt it possible to make good use of thoses APIs. And, YES, programming games is really an advanced topic, but with courage and determination you can probably acheive your goal.

PS: and yes, a MMORPG is quite a big project for beginners.

Good luck,
Jonathan
It's a great book, and then what I hear people say is that after you get a good grasp of C++ which will take you a considerable amount of time most likely, you will move on to SDL which is an API i believe, someone else can confirm this so don't quote me on it, but it will allow you to start doing 2d graphics and then eventually after that you will move on to direct x and open gl. Obviously you can do anything you wan't but this is what I see being recommended most oftenly.

I would say don't aim to high at first or you'll get frustrated, but always keep that mmo in mind also as an incentive to keep you goin. But I wouldnt expect your first game to be a mainstream MMO. But who know's crazier things have happened eh? :P
Quote:Original post by nunez12
Sria, thank you very much for the offer. But i would like to stick with it in C++ for now, thank you though. And to say to deepdene, thank you also. Yes i will start to try and learn more about pointers and such. But i am a little confused, i really don't know what vectors are. I have heard that matrixes deal with landscaping but that's all i really know about them. And what kind of books do you suggest, i have a C++ book but i was thinking of getting this one that focuses more on game programming for C++. Do you think that is a good idea. Or have you had experience that says otherwise. I was also thinking of after that getting a book on game engines and than maybe 3d gaming. What do you think I should get first?

For now you should keep working through your C++ book, or if you are really struggling with the material in it, maybe get a C++ book by a different author/publisher. Also, many, many members of the GameDev community have been where you are now, (many of us even at a similar age), and there are dozens of threads in the forum archives about the purpose and usage of classes and pointers; search the forums and you will likely find some useful explanations. Once you are starting to get a better grasp of pointers, classes, and C++ in general, then you can go out and get yourself an introductory game programming book. Don't plan or buy anything beyond that until you understand the basics of C++, game programming, and your chosen graphics, input, etc. libraries of choice. If you keep at it you will eventually reach the point where you are ready to get something that goes more in depth, but you won't be able to understand a 3D graphics programming book (for instance) until you know more of the basics, and furthermore, you might decide that you would really rather learn about sound programming by the time you are ready, anyways. Unfortunately, I can't give you any specific book recommendations because the ones I used when I was at the stage you are are all out of date (old versions of DirectX and MSVC++, etc.). However, I found that I did pretty well by just going into Borders and browsing through the programming books. Reading the table of contents and a few pages at random will give you a good idea of whether the subject matter and teaching style suites you -- assuming you know what your looking for. Thus, as I said, don't buy too far ahead of what you are ready to read. Good luck.
Quote:Original post by LowRad0

PS: and yes, a MMORPG is quite a big project for beginners.

Good luck,
Jonathan

Just to be clear: an MMORPG is quite a big project for anyone, not just for beginners; its a pretty small percentage of people who try to learn programming with the idea of making an MMORPG who have actually completed one, to date. I'm not trying to discourage anyone; just realize that saying an MMORPG is a big project "for beginners" is an understatement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement