• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bharath_k_reddy

System configuration

This topic is 4573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone suggest me a plausible hardware configuration. I am venturing into game development. What is the best processor, motherboard and any such issue.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by bharath_k_reddy
I am venturing into game development.

Could you be a bit more specific? Different things can be more important for different tasks; an artist won't have need the same setup as programmers, those working with audio may have different requirements again, etc. Which particular area were you thinking of working in, or were you planning on doing the hobbiest thing and being a bit of a jack of all trades?

Quote:
from a PM from bharath_k_reddy
i am talking about graphics and AI programming

I didn't think you'd mind me moving this back into the forum since there's nothing private there and your question will be better answered here.

For programming, processor speed and a reasonable amount of RAM will be important for running your development environment smoothly and allowing good compile times. The RAM also comes in handy for having plenty of programs running at once.

A lot of programmers like to have plenty of screen realestate to work with since you'll have lots of text (your code) on screen, possibly at the same time as documentation. This means that it's good to have either a large monitor, a dual monitor setup, or both. Also make sure that the monitor you choose displays text clearly (can be a problem on some LCDs) and has a good refresh or update rate so that graphics can be displayed smoothly.

If you're planning on doing graphics programming you'll want a reasonably new graphics card. Make sure it's both fast, and has plenty of features; you'll probably want to make sure it's got pixel shader support for when (if) you get in to that for example. If you were planning on running a dual-monitor setup you'd also want to make sure you got a graphics card with dual outputs, or a system capable of running two graphics cards (only one of them would neccesarily need to be good, since the second could just be used for basic display of text/webbrowser/etc).

AI programming doesn't really add any specific hardware requirements different from any other programming.

Quote:
Original post by tomekdd
Every expensive hardware conf. is good :)

In general yes, you do get what you pay for to a certain extent, and you'll generally always get more bang for your buck. This doesn't mean you neccesarily need a very expensive system for any given task though, and you can certainly always save money on parts that aren't needed (the OP of this thread can do with onboard sound and standard speakers for example, whereas a composer would want a high-end soundcard and good speaker setup and/or headphones).

Hope that helps give you an idea of what you might need. [smile]

Hey thanx a ton for your information. It would be great if we can have a discussion as to what might suit better for graphics programming.
What do you suggest Pentium-D or AMD-64?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!