What makes C++ so powerful?

Started by
147 comments, last by CoffeeMug 17 years, 11 months ago
I've been having this question in my mind for a while now and thought I should ask. C++ was created in the 80's and still it is one of the most popular languages for creating software. How come there haven't been any language to surpass C++ in these 26 years? And what makes C++ one of the most powerful languages out there? Is there any language that can compare with C++?
Advertisement
Legacy. And because of that legacy, money.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Flexablity and direct access to memory.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by Zyndrof
C++ was created in the 80's and still it is one of the most popular languages for creating software.

You mean "popular in games" only, right? No sane person would think of getting close to C++ for doing regular applications these days, and that's 99% of what is done in IT.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You mean "popular in games" only, right? No sane person would think of getting close to C++ for doing regular applications these days, and that's 99% of what is done in IT.

I don't know, you're the experts :P Then for regular applications, what is the most popular?
All the jobs that I have worked on reciently are still C++, these are not legacy project but new projects. C++ is not just a legacy language.

theTroll
What makes C++ so powerful?

The first thing that comes to my mind is object orientation.
The 2nd thing is templates.
The third thing is that it's based on C and uses familiar syntax and conventions.

How come there haven't been any language to surpass C++?

This all depends on your perspective. Some would say Java surpasses C++.
As far as prototyping is concerned, I think ObjC/ObjC++ surpasses C/C++ - but that's just my opinion.

You have to think too, that C/C++ has become a sort of unified language of the world - sort of like math. Overall, I think it would have to fall down to C++ being so familiar to everybody.

..It just makes sense.
http://blog.protonovus.com/
If it is most popular only for games, is there any language that can manage to do the same stuff as "easy" (or easier) than C++?
Quote:Original post by Zyndrof
If it is most popular only for games, is there any language that can manage to do the same stuff as "easy" (or easier) than C++?

Every other language ?!

I'm sorry if I didn't see your sarcasm tags...

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Every other language ?!

I'm sorry if I didn't see your sarcasm tags...

Then, what is the point with C++? :/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement