• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Maya file format

This topic is 4367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm looking for a specification of the Maya file format. I need to implement some simple exports for Maya in a software and I would like to do it cleanly. The Maya website gives no indications about their file format. Does anyone know if the specs are public ?

Advertisement
It looks like I missed the good combination of keywords. My Google-fu is weak, but one day I'll be able to leave the temple...

Thanks!

the maya binary is sortof documented, it's similar to a basic IFF file and more or less follows those rules (header followed by byte size), so any basic IFF parser *should* be able to form the starting point of a maya binary parser. In the API docs, the following should help identify a number of the chunk types available :

http://localhost:4449/Maya7.0/en_US/Nodes/index_tags.html

Of course, paic is slightly right in saying that it's not documented, a more accurate description would be that it's not fully documented (a lot of GUI related items aren't listed for example). However it's not too bad to determine what the ICON header means ;)

Having said all of that though, writing a maya ascii parser is probably more sensible that a maya binary one. (and failing that, using FBX or your own exporter is probably less work than the maya ascii file format). Hell, even linking maya into your own apps via MLibrary is easier still....

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement