• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mateo

DirectDraw and Windows Vista?

This topic is 4435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was curious if anyone has tried to execute any DirectDraw applications on the new OS Windows Vista? If so, did you have any success?

Advertisement
I haven't tried it, but I'd be surprised if there's any problems with it. Vista has support for DX9, and DDraw is in DX9 (Although no longer updated).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quick Question:
So, all the games I have now that run with DirectX 9 will run on Vista, Right?

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
So, all the games I have now that run with DirectX 9 will run on Vista, Right?
In theory, yes.

Backwards compatability is a big part of any new OS - there are newsgroups and bug categories dedicated to it.

MS wouldn't shift so many copies of any new OS if it broke all of the customers existing software [wink]

Jack

Believe that DirectDraw is emulated in Direct3D now. Just as DirectX 1-5 is now in XP with DX9.

Install the beta Vista and try it.
Anyway, all I have read is, that on 64bit Windows, you can forget everything else except DX9 and DX10. Vista should be fine(thou I have no idea whether it will be 32 or 64bit OS)

Quote:
Original post by mateo
I was curious if anyone has tried to execute any DirectDraw applications on the new OS Windows Vista? If so, did you have any success?

Without much more specific, yes a random ddraw app may run on vista, but the particular app you're interested in may not run (I'm not saying it won't !).

There are still plenty of apps that run on DirectDraw (Diablo 2!!) which MS needs to support for legacy.

So yeah, DDraw will run.

I'd like to here from somebody that has windows Vista Installed and is willing to find a ddraw app (or more than one would be nice[wink]) and execute it and simply tell me whether it works or not. Microsoft says that DirectDraw is depricated. But, while I don't see it in directx anymore, I still see it in Windows 2005 sdk, even with what looks like a new interface [IDirectDrawVideo]. I wonder if there meaning of depricated is "not in directx anymore, but now just a standard part of the windows api" [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!