DirectDraw and Windows Vista?

Started by
17 comments, last by LeGreg 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by darkelf2k5
Install the beta Vista and try it.
Anyway, all I have read is, that on 64bit Windows, you can forget everything else except DX9 and DX10. Vista should be fine(thou I have no idea whether it will be 32 or 64bit OS)

Windows XP x64 runs DirectDraw applications just fine.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:Original post by darkelf2k5
Install the beta Vista and try it.
Anyway, all I have read is, that on 64bit Windows, you can forget everything else except DX9 and DX10. Vista should be fine(thou I have no idea whether it will be 32 or 64bit OS)

Windows XP x64 runs DirectDraw applications just fine.

Yes 32 bit applications that use it run fine. I believe darkelf2K5 is referring to the fact that there are no 64 bit versions of anything older than DX9.
Quote:Original post by DemirugYes 32 bit applications that use it run fine. I believe darkelf2K5 is referring to the fact that there are no 64 bit versions of anything older than DX9.

Yeah, why would you like to compile a 64 bits version of a ten year old app anyway. Except for the fun of it (arguable).
DDraw should not be chosen for any new project.

For the original poster :
As we've already told you several time in this thread, yes DDraw app are not prevented from running on Vista and several actually runs.

Now, without much more specific that's all we can tell you, because as far as Microsoft is concerned, they only have limited resources (and so do we), and they have a much delayed OS. So, no, every one of the bazillion games/apps that have been released since 1995 will not necessarily run correctly on Vista. Because it's a brand new OS, plus they redid most of the graphical layer, and apps sometime do stupid thing (like hardcoding paths to c:, refusing to execute without an administrator account, etc..). Number of things that can go wrong is probably as large as the number of "software" that was once written so there is no definite answer on the simple question : "will this random app work on vista ?".

Does this answer satisfy you ?

LeGreg
Quote:Original post by LeGreg
Quote:Original post by DemirugYes 32 bit applications that use it run fine. I believe darkelf2K5 is referring to the fact that there are no 64 bit versions of anything older than DX9.

Yeah, why would you like to compile a 64 bits version of a ten year old app anyway. Except for the fun of it (arguable).
DDraw should not be chosen for any new project.

For the original poster :
As we've already told you several time in this thread, yes DDraw app are not prevented from running on Vista and several actually runs.

Now, without much more specific that's all we can tell you, because as far as Microsoft is concerned, they only have limited resources (and so do we), and they have a much delayed OS. So, no, every one of the bazillion games/apps that have been released since 1995 will not necessarily run correctly on Vista. Because it's a brand new OS, plus they redid most of the graphical layer, and apps sometime do stupid thing (like hardcoding paths to c:, refusing to execute without an administrator account, etc..). Number of things that can go wrong is probably as large as the number of "software" that was once written so there is no definite answer on the simple question : "will this random app work on vista ?".

Does this answer satisfy you ?

LeGreg

As stated in the original post, "I was curious". I simply wanted to know if a directdraw app would run in Vista, thats it. What do you mean, "no definite answer"? Either you've tried runing a ddraw app or you didn't. NONE, of you have given me a straight answer! I'll state the question again. If you have the Vista OS installed on your system, try an app that you know uses ddraw, please let me know if works or not. THANK YOU!

Quote:Original post by mateo
I'll state the question again. If you have the Vista OS installed on your system, try an app that you know uses ddraw, please let me know if works or not.

Sure, some work.

But I thought that was already clear.
On a lighter side, Ddraw is a much smaller thing to emulate under Vista than, say, fixed function d3d7. So it could be a hint that there are less chances of something bad happening because of ddraw, than there is of because of d3d7 (or 8).

Of course on the other hand the test matrices used by Microsoft/ihv/isv are probably containing much less ddraw games than recent games using d3d9..

Well.
Quote:Original post by mateo
As stated in the original post, "I was curious". I simply wanted to know if a directdraw app would run in Vista, thats it.

As stated in several replies, it will.

Quote:What do you mean, "no definite answer"? Either you've tried runing a ddraw app or you didn't. NONE, of you have given me a straight answer! I'll state the question again. If you have the Vista OS installed on your system, try an app that you know uses ddraw, please let me know if works or not. THANK YOU!

No. You install it and try it. Oh, what's that? You don't have the Vista beta? Well, then, that's just too bad, because you'd have to take our word that it runs anyway, wouldn't you?

It runs. But a program that uses it may not run for reasons unrelated to DirectDraw. Now go do something productive.
I only have one computer, If I had an easy way to install it I would! Or I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place! I don't want "I THINK it will run on this OS" or "direct3d should work (i said DIRECTDRAW)", which is all the answers I've gotten up to this point. This is the answer I want to hear "I have windows Vista installed on some computer, I've ran an application that I know uses directdraw, and it ran fine! (or it crashed!)."!!!! if you don't have access to a windows VistaOS system and are not willing to run a ddraw application then please SHUT-UP!! go to another topic!!!
This thread should probably die, but..

I just up this to post a screenshot of a ddraw app running with the "enhanced" aero glass desktop.

If that doesn't "prove it" to the original poster then nothing will..

LeGreg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement