• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JokerX

mipmaps

This topic is 4549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the better way for compressed DDS? 1. create dds textures with complete mipmap chain 2. create dds without mipmaps and after loading call GenerateMipSubLevels()

Advertisement
You need a little more context really...

Some tools (I've heard the Nvidia ones are quite good) can use more expensive/complex algorithms to generate higher quality mip chains simply by virtue of being "offline" processors.

Having said that, I'm not aware of the in-box D3D functions being particularly bad at generating them...

As far as compression goes, as far as I'm aware it should just be the classic case of performance versus size. Storing, even compressed, the extra mip levels will increase the DDS on disk. Generating and compressing mip levels at load-time will slow your application down.

Depends what is more important to you [smile]

hth
Jack

I dont care about load-time nor disk space. My top issue is performance in the run-time. From this point of view is that two options above exactly the same?

Yes, but the image quality is potentially better if you pre-generate the mipmaps by using offline tools.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!