Farewell My Love

Started by
27 comments, last by templewulf 17 years, 11 months ago
I love MS too
and the Road Ahead was an excellent read.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
I think Windows is one of the only softwares that I have had very few bugs/issues/troubles with. I don't get why people hate it so much, and to be honest, I have never had a good reason to believe someone that says it's buggy and sucks. If you know what your doing (ie: no illegal software or free icons downloaded form the internet) You shold never get spyware. I don't.

Can anyone give me a good reason not to like Windows?

Yes

Because It's just cooler to hate Microsoft. Most computer folks fall into the following stereotype....

1-MTV.
2-Alternative underground music.
3-Dropped Raver Pants.

Hence, people that are trying to be trend setters. It's a pshycological thing. Therefore, since Microsoft is the norm, they cannot deal with that. They need to be different, and that is where Mickey Mouse Linux comes in :)

I love Microsoft with all my heart! Resist anything else!
Quote:Original post by Character73
I think Windows is one of the only softwares that I have had very few bugs/issues/troubles with. I don't get why people hate it so much, and to be honest, I have never had a good reason to believe someone that says it's buggy and sucks. If you know what your doing (ie: no illegal software or free icons downloaded form the internet) You shold never get spyware. I don't.

Yes

Because It's just cooler to hate Microsoft. Most computer folks fall into the following stereotype....

1-MTV.
3-Dropped Raver Pants.

Hence, people that are trying to be trend setters. It's a pshycological thing. Therefore, since Microsoft is the norm, they cannot deal with that. They need to be different, and that is where Mickey Mouse Linux comes in :)

<sarcasm>Bro, then rate me up. b/c I lost about 75 points after this post. All these M$ lovers rate me down, you M$ haters don't rate me up.</sarcasm>
[lol]
Quote:Original post by Tradone
Quote:Original post by Character73

Yes

1-MTV.
3-Dropped Raver Pants.

<sarcasm>Bro, then rate me up. b/c I lost about 75 points after this post. All these M$ lovers rate me down, you M$ haters don't rate me up.</sarcasm>
[lol]

Bro Man, I'm wid INP! International Possies in da house.
Break yourself fool!

Miami Sunset High!
Raised in such a rough neighborhood, I don't know how the hell I became a programmer.

Florida Gangs, INP!

[lol]

*nix ppl take a lot of abuse on this forum when we say things that may offend the MS people(notice how I don't dare spell it with the dollar sign).

I could only wish that things like flash and the majority of games worked in wine without doing strange things so I could work in XFCE all the time, but until then I'm stuck with a dual boot, which as of lately keeps getting worse(No flash 8 player for *nix isn't exactly desirable and everything other propietary thing in *nix seems to be falling behind).
My first closed thread....
Yikes, I need get away from the lounge for a while.
Go sit back in the corner.

closed

It's not about the spyware, although that is a part of it.

I have a few gripes about Windows itself:

* Running as admin. Most games and applications, except many Windows Logo Compliant apps, require admin or power user privelages. Even burning a CD with built-in drivers used to require elevated privelages!

* Frequent reboots. This is less of a problem as the years roll by, but still an issue. I have to reboot my Windows boxes about every week, sometimes more often. That's much better than years ago, but still not great. We have Linux boxs used for development with (as of right now) uptimes of 3 months. The reboots were due to kernel security patches.

* Malware and invasive probes. There is the frequent debate about if this is because windows is less secure, or because it is more commonly used by the inexperienced. In either case, the SANS Internet Storm Center reports are insightful. April 2006 shows about 12-20 minutes of Internet connection are all it takes before an out-of-the-box Windows XP machine is successfully probed for vulnerabilities. Compare that with 26 hours on the Unix side.

So yes, there are reasons to dislike windows.

But that being said, there are many positives for Windows. It is easy to install and configure, and usually pre-installed on home computers. Usually users get the feeling of "It Just Works™" which they don't get with *nix installations. All the new games are written for Windows. Countless web games require Windows + IE to run. There is a lot of well-written and easily accessible documentation for the lay person. Everybody has a few friends who can help them solve computer problems. And so on.

For the common lay user who don't care that their machine is going to be used as part of a botnet within a half hour of use, MS Windows is a great system.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Well, like I wrote, I have reached my limit. Its going to take more than an automatic update to fix our relationship. I just don't feel like I know you anymore. For example, do you know what I found on the computer a few days ago? Spyware! I wonder who let that in...

• Look in the mirror.
  • Slap yourself silly.

Reminds me of the stupid new Mac commercials.

You'd think our PC's crashed every 10 minutes and had 50 viruses.

Hmmm, haven't had a computer crash in... well let's just say I can't remember the last time it happened. Oh and viruses? I still have never gotten one.

Eeesh.

/Hi I'm a macintosh*!
//* - ie: elitist snob
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir

Hmmm, haven't had a computer crash in... well let's just say I can't remember the last time it happened. Oh and viruses? I still have never gotten one.

Eeesh.

/Hi I'm a macintosh*!

I'm just waiting for Apple to eventually take a huge piece of the market, then have to deal with security issues, worms, etc.

Running Windows doesn't make your computer vulnerable. User input makes computers vulnerable.

"April 2006 shows about 12-20 minutes of Internet connection are all it takes before an out-of-the-box Windows XP machine is successfully probed for vulnerabilities."

From another computer, just burn and install the .EXE installer of your firewall and antivirus programs of choice before you connect it to the internet, then. It worked for me, and I've never yet had a virus or ad/spyware infestation.
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Well, like I wrote, I have reached my limit. Its going to take more than an automatic update to fix our relationship. I just don't feel like I know you anymore. For example, do you know what I found on the computer a few days ago? Spyware! I wonder who let that in...

• Look in the mirror.
  • Slap yourself silly.

Reminds me of the stupid new Mac commercials.

You'd think our PC's crashed every 10 minutes and had 50 viruses.

Eeesh.

/Hi I'm a macintosh*!

I want to make a mock-commercial where the PC guy has two hot chicks on his arms and says "well at least I'm popular," and then he's outside playing sports and says "and at least I know how to have fun," and finally end with, "and if I'm so bad, then why are you using my processor now?"

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement