Good game architecture books for a total newbie?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
Why buy a book when you can download tons of books from p2p networks?
We're doing this for a living, George. We are not amateurs.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by dimovich
Why buy a book when you can download tons of books from p2p networks?

Because the former is legal, while the latter is illegal.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by ph33r
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
@DarkSlayer
I must question why you recomend learning assembly. Its almost useless nowadays.

Where I work, about 5% of our code base is in assembly. This means every now and again you have to drop down to the assembly level to get work done or understand how to fix a problem. Of course, this doesn't mean a shareware project needs assembly to get by.

That a side, understanding the machine's architecture is imperitive to optimizing for your platform and understanding assembly is one way to really understand the architecture. I'd recommend every programmer at least once in their carear learn assembly.

Learning it 2 or 3 times is best though, right? lol

just call me a troll!

imo, learn c#, it's fun, easy, and useful... honestly if you just want to be a hobbyist gamer it's a great way. Check out Tom Miller's Managed directx9 kickstar, ron penton's game programming, and eric gunnersons programmers introduction to c#. All are great books and are very cheap. Keep in mind most of tom or ron's samples won't work right out of the box... you'll actually have to fix them yourself... which imo was the most fun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement