C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Chad Smith
I love this idea. Only one problem for me though is that I might feel like I know a little to much to be a student, but then again I don't know close to enough to be a tutor. So, could I still join maybe? I have been programming in C++ for just a little less then one year now. But, can I make a suggestion on the book. I too also suggest a free online book. Not thinking in C++, but maybe...Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days? This is the link

Well, that is my 2 cents.

Chad.

Perhaps two sessions? Those who are new to the language, and then one for those who just need a project to work on the sharpen their newly learned skills?
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Advertisement
i would love to have to resource for learning c++. i dont have the book but i would be willing to go out and buy it.
Just have a tutor started thread each Saturday(end of the week) in general programming called "<insert book/online tutorial> Chapter 'X' study group" So if you use C++ for dummies is would be called "C++ for Dummies Chapter 5 Study Group" or "Study group for 'Teach Yourself C++' Chapter 17"
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
I'm pretty sure if Lazy Foo isn't too busy that he might be interested.

Unfortunately I am. I have an advanced java final this week and I want to make sure I get an A in the class. Then I start up english in the summer. I HATE english. After that I'm going to be bombarded with advanced math and physics.

Personally, I think this is a nice idea.

But IMO it's better and more practical to just sign up for a class at your local JC and take it there.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

quote]
Meh, a person with a good reason to learn C++ as his first language is very, very hard to find. This is, after all, gamedev.net, and let's face it--C++ isn't the best game programming language under the sun.

Then what is?

This seems a good idea and controversy over which book to use is to be expected. The decision is in the hands of the teacher though.
I think this is agreat idea! I don't have that book, but would be glad to get it to learn more from this! I know Basic C++ and Java and learned programming in general on QBASiC back in the early 90's(high school) , but I still need to learn more C++ before I move on to an API! I am sketchy with pointers and arrays. Not to mention the templates. I still don't understand "Pass by reference" or "by Value" Also don't know the difference betwee "the heap and the stack" So yeah this sounds promissing!

To the dude who objection of using C++, what langugae would you choose? I stopped learning java and c# becasue of the lack of onformation and gaming/multimedia relavent stuff. I like to know how and why things work. Java/and .net seem too high level and just give you premade classes and fuctions allready made to work with, mainly related to database and Enterprise business apps. Thats great for someone wanting Rapid app Developement(RAD), but for games, no. C++ has been the standard of the industry for a reason! Why would developers want to "Stay away from it?" Learning C++ always feels right to me! and their is hundreds of libraries out there related to games! :)
Quote:Original post by Kenny77
Quote:
Meh, a person with a good reason to learn C++ as his first language is very, very hard to find. This is, after all, gamedev.net, and let's face it--C++ isn't the best game programming language under the sun.

Then what is?

Please take that discussion to another thread. In the Lounge, for example.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
If you need some tutors I can be one of them. I have over 4 years experience with C++. and for the past year I have been delving into the more complex features of C++ ranging from dll's all the way to functors and more. Don't let my join date fool you tho. ;)
i would be interested in being a student for this

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement