C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by
261 comments, last by Melvin18 14 years, 10 months ago
Although I don't have C++ for Dummies book. I will see if I can get it. Whatever it may be we have nothing to loose and we will only know more. I hope many newbies take part. I will read for my exams first[lol] but would like to read some intresting answers. I just know how to play with numbers,array and beginners level C++. Function,classes and inheritence only basics and have implemented only simple programs.

Please keep this thread alive[smile].
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
It seems to me that, if you have to tutor these people, perhaps you should be teaching them a better language than C++? Even in commercial game programming, any programmer worth his salt is going to try and spend as much time /away/ from C++ as possible.

Let the guy have his fun [grin]

When the someone proposes a learning how to program tutoring thread then we'll all agree not to use C, C++, C#, Objective-C, D, and Java [smile]

Meh, a person with a good reason to learn C++ as his first language is very, very hard to find. This is, after all, gamedev.net, and let's face it--C++ isn't the best game programming language under the sun.
Quote:
I second the decision not to use C++ For Dummies; I haven't read it, but I heard it isn't very good, and more people would participate if we used a free online book. Other than that, sounds good. We could have a single thread devoted to it to save forum space, or we could use the old Interactive Game Development Tutorial forum.

I for one like "C++ For Dummies". All the information presented is simple and easy to follow, they dont assume any previous knowlegde, and it covers a good ammount of information. I dont know what everyone else is complaining about.

Having said that, I do agree a free online book would be nice but I wouldnt recomend "Thinking in c++" that is for people moving from one language to another like Alpha_ProgDes said.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
Meh, a person with a good reason to learn C++ as his first language is very, very hard to find. This is, after all, gamedev.net, and let's face it--C++ isn't the best game programming language under the sun.

True, but we must also consider the sheer number of third party game libraries already developed for C++. This is the main reason that I have never successfully parted from C++ when it comes to game programming.

Thankfully, however, it appears this is changing. There already has been a small explosion of activity spent on developing game development libraries in languages other than C++.

But anyway, I do agree with you -- C++ really is not a good beginner's language at all IMHO. I would advocate this course use Python -- and perhaps PyGame -- along with How to Think Like a Computer Scientist.
I would be interested in helping teach this "course," but could I recommend the book, "Beginning C++ Game Programming." It seems to be much more noob friendly and have an outline of what to do.

BTW, I will not be on most of the summer, so that's just a little heads up.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
bytecoder: You're derailing this thread and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop. We've had more than enough language discussions (12 over the course of two weeks, to be exact) and this should not be yet another.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Simple suggestion: if a book, online or off, cannot be agreed on, the tutors can teach lessons directly; each post (or thread, if this ever gets its own forum) can be focused on a new concept (e.g. pointers, class inheritance, etc.), and then students will have the opportunity to ask questions about the disscussed concept. It will probably become difficult to get the topic from the thread, read the appropriate chapter in the book, come back to ask a question, and then get pointed back to the book; all of the material can be self-contained within the thread.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I love this idea. Only one problem for me though is that I might feel like I know a little to much to be a student, but then again I don't know close to enough to be a tutor. So, could I still join maybe? I have been programming in C++ for just a little less then one year now. But, can I make a suggestion on the book. I too also suggest a free online book. Not thinking in C++, but maybe...Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days? This is the link

Well, that is my 2 cents.

Chad.
Quote:Original post by Chad Smith
I too also suggest a free online book. Not thinking in C++, but maybe...Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days? This is the link

I second that. I skimmed the chpaters and it seems that it goes more indepth then "C++ For Dummies".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
perhaps people will be more inclined to stay through the hard time if they invest some coins, but on the other hand perhaps people will stay out because they dont have the spare coinage.
so, how about using a free online book or tutorial site?

a second note, maybe gamedev will make a new forum for this school group? it will be hard to track the groups posts among the others in "for beginners".
If this thing becomes successful it will be a wonderful feature for this great site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement