[java] Is Java the Future?

Started by
7 comments, last by 5MinuteGaming 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi Just a question about the future of Java, and what it promises. I found that the GUI it offers is much better than GTK, Qt, or any other package out there, even the MFC on their platforms. Correct me if I'm wrong. But what about performace? When I resize the frame of a java window, the gui compoenets don't update until I release the resize borders. Is it a trick to hide the slowness of java gui rendering? How can I toggle that if possible in the program? Now if Java is very well structured and OO designed, and it offers alot in terms of network to graphics, wirelss to workstations paltforms, why can it be the dominant over other technologies like .NET, and becomes, listen here carefully: hardware ACCELERATED, somethign like the interpeter is part of the hardware or at least the hardware can interpret the core elements of the language, tied to the hardware like C tied to assembly.
Advertisement
As far as cross-platform gui's Java provides a different design methodology to creating a graphical application other than your traditional GDI or MFC frameworks. I haven't used GTK or QT that much but am more farmiliar with wxWidgets and CEGUI and as far as crossplatform GUI development they all seem like fine solutions. I don't think that java is the best but simply another option.

And I believe that we have had this discussion before about the lack of event trapping for window resizing. And I believe that I can honestly state that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY in swing or awt to trap the window resizing event.

I have tried all the ways I can without actually creating a GUI api myself. The awt Toolkit simply doesn't trap the event and thus neither does swing.

As for the speed of Java it is already much like C in that it has the JIT compiler which compiles to Assembly when loading your Application. Furthermore, the issue with slow java programs is two fold one because of a JIT it inscreases loading time, and two SUN developers wrote a bloated API much of the slow aspects of Java is due to the slowness of the API implementation and not the language itself.

This of course is all in my humble opinion.
Quote:
And I believe that we have had this discussion before about the lack of event trapping for window resizing. And I believe that I can honestly state that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY in swing or awt to trap the window resizing event.

Well, at least Intellij IDEA does it somehow.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:

Hmmm, well I've looked high and low for a way to do it. Even output all the messages within the AWT Toolkit that were being generated and still no dice.

I'll have to take a look at Intellij but I've never heard of it working with AWT or SWING.
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Quote:

Hmmm, well I've looked high and low for a way to do it. Even output all the messages within the AWT Toolkit that were being generated and still no dice.

You mustn't of looked very well. (J)Window extends Component, which contains the handy addComponentListener, which lets you implement your own componentResized.
Quote:Original post by quaker
Hi

Just a question about the future of Java, and what it promises. I found that the GUI it offers is much better than GTK, Qt, or any other package out there, even the MFC on their platforms. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Swing is very similar to GTK and Qt, with the main difference being a preference (like in other Java standard libraries) for generality over ease of use and terseness.
Why do you think Swing is better than other toolkits?
Quote:
But what about performace? When I resize the frame of a java window, the gui compoenets don't update until I release the resize borders. Is it a trick to hide the slowness of java gui rendering? How can I toggle that if possible in the program?
Component resizing is addressed in other replies; normally speed is good but memory use is rather prodigal.
Quote:
Now if Java is very well structured and OO designed, and it offers alot in terms of network to graphics, wirelss to workstations paltforms, why can it be the dominant over other technologies like .NET, and becomes, listen here carefully:
What does this sentence mean?
Quote:hardware ACCELERATED, somethign like the interpeter is part of the hardware or at least the hardware can interpret the core elements of the language, tied to the hardware like C tied to assembly.

Hardware implementations of the JVM are neither a new idea nor widely appealing. A limited device like a cellphone might go Java-only and reduce power consumption with a specialized chip, but computers use traditional general purpose CPUs, which are good enough thanks to JIT compilation and much more useful.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Quote:Original post by quaker
But what about performace? When I resize the frame of a java window, the gui compoenets don't update until I release the resize borders. Is it a trick to hide the slowness of java gui rendering? How can I toggle that if possible in the program?

As Elzar would say...
BAM!
As Elzar would say...
BAM!

bloody html grumble grumble grumble...

I meant, of course,
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/Toolkit.html#setDynamicLayout(boolean)

Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Quote:

You mustn't of looked very well. (J)Window extends Component, which contains the handy addComponentListener, which lets you implement your own componentResized.

Unfortunately, I did find that. I didn't mention all the ways I tried only that I did look around and found a lot of people asking the same question. The ComponentResized method does not get called until after you drop the resize move. Key word Resized past tense meaning after the actual dragging.

Although I think that our AP has just solved the problem which I thought was not implemented and wasn't until 1.4 .

Quote:
Quote::Original post by Anonymous Poster
As Elzar would say...
BAM!

bloody html grumble grumble grumble...

I meant, of course,
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/awt/Toolkit.html#setDynamicLayout(boolean)

Thanks dude I was looking for that! :P
"who was that masked man?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement