Use of XSI Mod Tool for my own stuff?

Started by
4 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 11 months ago
I just noticed that, somewhat to my surprise, XSI Mod Tool allows you to export to the dotXSI format, without any crippling which I can find. This seems like a perfectly workable format to use in my engine, and it seems like a god-send that I can finally work with a powerful, usable modeller that I actually own legally *cough*. But...this seems like the sort of thing that would be banned by the EULA or some such. Yet, I can't find any such restrictions on my perusal through the various licensing documents or anything. Which makes me really, really hopeful, but I thought I'd ask anyway. So to summarize, using XSI Mod Tool to create dotXSI files for use in my own projects, and not UE or Source -- allowed?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
dotxsi is such an ugly format... you'd better go with Collada wich is standar XML based...

xsi 5.1 does not export physic info within there build-in collada 1.4 exporter, but hopefully they will update any time soon! if you are any serious about it you ll have to build your own exporter on day or another!

more info:

https://collada.org/public_forum/welcome.php

cheers!

Yes, you can use the XSI format, but no, you can't use it in a commercial project! You can use it for personal projects though, yes.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Yes, you can use the XSI format, but no, you can't use it in a commercial project!
Damnit. Not because I think I'm planning to go commercial (I'm not) but I was on the edge of believing that there was actually a workable way to use a pro class modeler for free and actually get useful, unrestricted data from it. This isn't bad I suppose -- it's head and shoulders above what Max and Maya provide in their free versions -- but I was really thinking my ideal had been achieved.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Dont like Blender?
Not really, no. Personally I think it's sad that a group of obviously very skilled developers managed to botch an interface so badly. I think Blender has a lot of potential if they simply tear out the underlying engine and restart the GUI...or at least, fix the widgets to be not completely irritating. (Though personally I'd prefer they redo the code to use native widgets whenever possible. Admittedly, none of the modelers seem to bother with native widgets, but still.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement