Sign in to follow this  
LittleFreak

Animating .X Files...

LittleFreak    144
Is there any easy way to do this from everything I read its this big long unclear task to animate a .X. I cant pleave with everything that DirectX offers they havent made it easier to animate its own file type. Everything I read gives me more control the I am comfortable with. I rather just Load, Update, and Render. But with D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX it makes everything complicated. Is that the only way because I will have to rewrite the a bit of my engine in order to incorperate that.

jamesw    400
I just went through this and the short answer is no, there isn't an easier way. Unfortunately the animation samples in the SDK are over complicated and poorly written, and basically require a complete re-write to get dependable code. The reason that the D3DX libraries give you so much control is to make the code useful for the majority of applications which may not want to use some internal D3DX loading / rendering mechanism that caters to the lowest common denominator (software skinning). It would be nice to have a simplified mechanism though for people who just want to throw a skeletal mesh into their program and not spend days on it.

LittleFreak    144
Well I think I figured out how to accorperate this into my engine... I dont want to use an exsisting libary I'm trying to build this libary from scratch using only the directx libary. But could I dirive my mesh class from the LPD3DXALLOCATEHIERARCHY and my DEVICE class and just define the 4 functions in my class and pass "this" into D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX. It should work I'll give it a try and tell you guys how it turns out. Thanks for the help.