Game engine suggestions

Started by
5 comments, last by spiffy 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello We are a startup indie-game studio, developing a RTS title in Austin,TX . We are looking to license a gaming/render engine to speed up the development . What would you recommend ? I have contacted Gamebryo already but they havent got back yet. Whats your stance on c4,Truevision etc Spiffy
Advertisement
As an indie developer I suppose you got none or litte funds to use on a game engine. I would go for Ogre3D or Crystalspace. I do not favor the one over the other, it's just the two most advanced free game engined that came to my mind
I'm going to move this over to 'Game Programming' - the DX forum is more for specific API related questions, and if you're looking to use an *engine* these details are likely to be abstracted away [smile]

You might also want to specify your budget and platform requirements (although, if you're posting in DX forum, it would seem logical that you're going Windows/Xbox only). You can pay extreme sums for things like UE3/CryEngine technology [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

You might also look at Torque as well. It's a full blown game engine with lots of nice features. Ogre3d is an excellent 3d rendering engine, but that's all it is. You will be responsible for the other aspects of the engine such as collision detection and game state management and stuff, though there are community addons for much of that. Ultimately depends if you want some rendering middleware or a full blown engine to start with, and whether or not you mind doing much of the game in a scripting language(torque).
Might as well get Torque? The indie license only costs $100.00 USD, and you can get the shader engine indie license (nicer graphics) for an additional $150.00 USD. But I think the main reason for you to buy it is the RTS Starter Kit for an extra $49.95 USD.

But get ready to struggle with documentation, althoug the book might help (haven't read it).
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Torque looks great and it sells well, but when you actually go to use it to make a game it becomes one HUGE hack.

It comes with starter projects but they are never good enough for what you need. Basically what you end up doing is spending hundreds of hours trying to modify a huge mess of ugly code.

On top of that you have to learn a scripting language. If you already know how to program all you need is a simple and clean API. I got rather sick of looking at the forums all the time on how to hack the engine for this or that.

Find a simple API that doesn't use a stupid scripting language. Why should you need to learn a scripting language if you already know how to program? The fact is when you make your first game you want to get started right away. Torque provides you with the illusion that you are making your game, but as soon as you try to do something unique you are in for a mental sickness.
Torque is good for those who dont have much c++/dx/GL experience..our team is good thus they want full control over the engine and not just through scripting.

We have a fairly good budget on licensing the technology..any idea how much Gamebryo is?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement