Sign in to follow this  
gavco98

[web] Interactive Bidding System

gavco98    387
I am developing a new website with a friend, and I need to create a kind of interactive bidding system. They way it will work is bidding will open, and a submit button will appear, the first person to submit a bit, wins. Once a bid has been placed, the system needs to stop accepting bids. Now, if all goes to plan, this site will be handling a large volume of traffic. Just for the sake of figures lets assume we may have 1,000 people all trying to hit the submit button at once. What is the best way of coding this? I am familiar with PHP / MySQL, which would be how I would like to do this, but will it be able to cope? My first suggestion would be to insert all the submissions into a mysql database and let the database take care of ordering them. Simply pick out the first record in the DB as the winner. Is there a better way of doing this? And can mysql handle 1,000+ queries at once?

Terlenth    300
If you set up MySQL to handle 1000+ simultaneous users you should be fine... I can't overly remember what the options when setting up the MySQL server are offhand, but I thought that you could do so without much problems. If I recall the options, at least when I was setting it up, were <500 and 500+. I could be wrong and if so please feel free to correct me.

I would say that what you most likely will have to do for the actual submission process is block off connection after the first gets through... This way you won't run into issues (hopefully). If your way works better then go for it.