Sign in to follow this  
mrmrcoleman

Custom application in a web browser?!

I have a custom video format which I need to stream to a browser. The video is standard RGB24 compressed video but I have extra information in the bits and this needs to be used during the rendering phase in the browser window. What I need is for the browser to use a program I have written to display the video when the browser comes across this specific format. I noticed that Google Videos uses it's own player, so this must be possible, but I am not exactly sure how I would go about starting something like this. I have plenty of experience with rendering video in Windows but how do I get IE or Firefox to use my program to display on the page instead of Media Player or whatever else.. Any pointers appreciated massively. Mark

The common way involves writing your own ActiveX control. It's not hard, VC has application wizards that setup the code for you. Prepare to be confronted with MFC, I'm not sure if and how .NET handles ActiveX.

The other option would of course be a Java applet. One advantage here is that most users will not need to install anything, as ActiveX components are largely frowned upon because of their malware history.