[web] More(hopefully last) SQL Problems

Started by
14 comments, last by mx 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, So I've got the C MySQL up and running, and I'm almost done with this whole mess of a project, but now I'm running into some trouble. What I want to be able to do, is connect to a SQL server on my site http://www.backyardproductions.org/ hosted by OLM.net from my customers computer. Now, the problem is, I can't seem to get the host right. I'm using mysql_real_connect, and for the host I've tried a mutliple thing of things, and none of them work. When I put "backyardproductions.org", I get an erorr: Access denied for user username@adsl-074-229-240-227.sip.bhm.bellsouth.net(bellsouth is my ISP). Does anyone know of something I should try, or if there is a different way to connect remotely? Thanks so much. Levi [Edited by - levjs on May 17, 2006 10:14:35 AM]
Advertisement
You more than likely have to download the driver that allows remote connection of SQL statements, though that wouldn't necessarily explain the error.

Is the SQL server on your website set up to receive connections?
--Ter'Lenth
I don't know. How would I tell?
Well if it is set up on a Windows Server then there is normally a graphical setup that you go through that will have the options, you then need to run the server to get it to run.

On a linux server is a little more difficult to set up, you need to specify a number of option (I can't remember off hand, but will look it up if I can find it) and then again will have to run it.

The key thing is that it has to be actually running in the background to be accessed (unless I'm missing a specific kind of way). I'm also somewhat assuming you are using MySQL as the server?
--Ter'Lenth
Ask your host the IP address of the MySQL server and connect to that. You'll probably need to authenticate with the User/pass they give you (usually the same as your hosting account).
Ok, I contacted my host, and they set it up for remote access(it is disabled by default). So now it's working. One more question. This is a C++ program I'm going to distribute to my customers. Obviously, the password and username to my account has to be in the code. My question is, is there anyway somebody could decompile it and get my password? Thanks
Levi
Quote:Original post by levjs
Ok, I contacted my host, and they set it up for remote access(it is disabled by default). So now it's working. One more question. This is a C++ program I'm going to distribute to my customers. Obviously, the password and username to my account has to be in the code. My question is, is there anyway somebody could decompile it and get my password? Thanks
Levi

The answer is yes. That is if they know what to look for, from everything I've seen decompilers are hard to decode variables at best.

If you are worried, see if you can make it so that there is only access to the server's database.

Edit: Here's a presentation that was from my Software Engineering class on Reverse Engineering, it talks about decompilers a little. It is not very indepth explaination, but it gives you an idea.

Presentation

[Edited by - Terlenth on May 18, 2006 9:13:51 AM]
--Ter'Lenth
Quote:Original post by Terlenth
Quote:Original post by levjs
Levi

The answer is yes. That is if they know what to look for, from everything I've seen decompilers are hard to decode variables at best.

If you are worried, see if you can make it so that there is only access to the server's database.

Edit: Here's a presentation that was from my Software Engineering class on Reverse Engineering, it talks about decompilers a little. It is not very indepth explaination, but it gives you an idea.

Presentation

Ok, so basically, if they try hard enough, they can do it. I didn't quite get what you were saying here. Thanks
Quote:

What I meant was, that if you are worried about someone accessing something they shouldn't, see if you can set up a priveledges based login that only has priveledges to see the specific things you want it to.

That way the only thing that you may have to worry about is someone hacking the database and relevant files that the specific loging can access.
--Ter'Lenth
Ah, I see. Ok, thanks so much.
Levi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement