MFC, Win32, .NET...Confusion!

Started by
16 comments, last by rohde 17 years, 11 months ago
Okay, so after you guys answered my question about OpenGL and such yesterday, I decided to get a book on Windows Programming. Ugh..apparently they change the format often. I'm getting books form the early 90's here when I looked for Win32, and I'll get newer books that are about MFC, but I thought that MFC was updated. I'm lost...what is the "new" thing that I need to use to keep up? Whatever is going to work with Vista is preferable, unless that's different from XP.
Originality is dead.
Advertisement
You want to write applications for windows?

.NET

Win32 and MFC is just 'no'.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Quote:Original post by Enselic
You want to write applications for windows?

.NET

Win32 and MFC is just 'no'.

Okay. Do you have any reccomendations of a good book? I'm having trouble finding a .NET C++ book, they all seem to be using C#, and I'd rather not learn that language right now.

Originality is dead.
If your going to use .NET, you will probably want to learn C#. Using C++ and .NET is ugly at best. I also did not want to learn C#, but it is very easy to learn, has a free compiler from Microsoft, and makes it extremely easy to create Windows UI programs.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I have no book recomendation unfortunately, but you will come very far (I think far enough) by using web resources.

Also, if you haven't, download Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
There will always be Win32, but the current technology that MS would like you to use is .NET and when Vista ships it will be WinFX (which is kind of the next version of .NET).

So .NET would be a good place to start. One of the best introductions to .NET and the C# programming language is Andrew Troelsen's "Pro C# 2005 and the .NET 2.0 Platform" from APress.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I thought WinFX was the visual portion only. It will still be .NET but instead of GDI+ you had WinFX.
Quote:Original post by azherdev
I thought WinFX was the visual portion only. It will still be .NET but instead of GDI+ you had WinFX.

No, WinFX is the managed API. The GUI part of that is Windows Presentation Foundation (which is built on top of DirectX).
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4
If your going to use .NET, you will probably want to learn C#. Using C++ and .NET is ugly at best. I also did not want to learn C#, but it is very easy to learn, has a free compiler from Microsoft, and makes it extremely easy to create Windows UI programs.

Ah screw it. I'm not learning a new langauge just so the Microsoft can be happy with itself. Maybe I'll pick up VB.NET later, but I've already learned C, C++ and Python and I want to actually use them.
Originality is dead.
Quote:Original post by BringBackFuturama
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4

Ah screw it. I'm not learning a new langauge just so the Microsoft can be happy with itself. Maybe I'll pick up VB.NET later, but I've already learned C, C++ and Python and I want to actually use them.

Don't be discouraged. C++ with .NET WAS very bad with .NET 1.0 and 1.1. The syntax was extremely verbose. But they completely redesigned the language extensions for C++ with VS 2005 (.NET 2.0), and its much cleaner and concise. I don't think there should be anything wrong with you writing a C++ application for .NET with VS 2005.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement