Model animation rendering techniques

Started by
4 comments, last by deffer 17 years, 11 months ago
Good day. I want to implement a loader + animator for some model format. I think formats are pretty exchangable (as there are many converters around), but if not - what model format would you recommend? Also: I have already implemented a loader+animator+renderer for 3D models some time ago, but it was targeted for older HW (all calculations were done in software). Now, that I got myself a brand-new PC (SM 3.0), I do not even know where to start. What techniques can I exploit with such capabilities? I imagine it would be "animating purely on the GPU", but I don't know much details...
Advertisement
The ONLY animation thing done on the GPU for a skinned mesh, is the Vertex Shader calculation of the world transformation matrix for the vertices of each bone. If you look at the MultiAnimation sample in the SDK, you will see that it renders the mesh 4 ways, and only one uses the GPU for this.
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
Thanks. I was not aware of that sample. I'm continuing to underestimate DXSDKs, as it seems.
But technique used there DO ring a bell.

Those are for SM2.0. Can I assume there's nothing particulary new for 3.0 in that area? If I can, there's only a matter of model format to choose and I might begin (desing+)implementation.
Actually it is the SkinnedMesh sample that does that. The multianimation one shows some other things. The samples programs are not easy to read, and the multianimation one is really badly designed. But I was able to learn a LOT by printing them out and then following the instruction flow to see how they did certain things and in what order.
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
If you have an ATI card, download the ATI SDK and look at the R2BV Animation sample. Does lots of skinning very fast using pixel shaders.
Quote:Original post by ET3D
If you have an ATI card, download the ATI SDK and look at the R2BV Animation sample.

I do (X1600XT). Downloading it now (400megs, bleh).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement