Do i learn C or C++?

Started by
27 comments, last by chigga102 17 years, 11 months ago
I know there is a thing that is on here but it doesnt go into much detail. i want to start programming and want to make games and only games so i want to know what language i should learn. I want to program football(soccer) games and want to know if i can do it with C and if C++ can u direct me to where i can learn C++ through videos for free thanks.
Advertisement
I would learn C quite well, to get used to the syntax, then go for C++.
If you want to make games for the love of making games, I suggest C#.
If you want to make games to do this sort of thing professionally, then C++.

For free videos, go to Google.com or Microsoft.com. They have plenty of video tutorials and online text tutorial ready to be watched/read.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Usually, when you learn C++, you will learn C as well. But the standards for C++ are different, and C++ uses a lot of functions not available in pure C. I started with C++, but still used some C code. But you may want to do as Dave said, and start with C first, to get used to the syntax. =)
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
C++, you'll spend way to much time coding games at what you're shooting for in C. I would recommend that you actually just skip to C#, it's "easier," and a higher level language.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
There is no reason for a non-professional to specifically learn C over C++ ... it just doesn't make sense to cut off your own hands (no const, strange requirements to typedef a struct to actually use it cleanly, no virtual, no templates, no STL, C gets no love from me anymore).

About the only good thing about C is that since people can't do things like operator overloading or copy constructors, it is harder for them to design bad libraries that hide their badness from you.

And C is a GREAT language to explore for learning the core ideas of the entire von neuman machine (every modern CPU really)
I have same question
I'd say start with C++ and get into object oriented programming as soon as you can. Learning the right way to program in the beginning will ensure that you learn things that you'll actually be using later on. If the C++ standard template library is available, use it! Learning the wrong way to program will give you some pretty horrible coding habbits, so be careful.

Get yourself a good book and read through it chapter by chapter only coming to the computer when you're asked to do an exercise or want to try something out.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Very Very simple.

I say, forget about C all together and learn C++.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is some stuff you can do in C which is illegal to do in C++.

I Think in C these are legal

// No prototype for this functionint GetNumber(){  number=getch();  //.  //.  //.  return number;}// Implicit int returnGetNumber(){  //.  //.  //.}

I think there are others but I can't think of them now
The only problem with learning C++ first is that you'll never want to program in C.

If you decide to learn C first, you can appreciate what C++ offers and understand the history a little bit better (not that I recommend this path).

If this is basically your first language, I agree that maybe going C#, Java, Python, etc. is better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement