Sign in to follow this  
D Shankar

Compliers? Dev CPP?

Hello, I'm just wondering what the gurus use for game programming? I currently use Dev CPP. I need C/C++. It doesn't matter if its free or not, but preferably free. It should have a nice IDE. Thank you, Nex

Guest Anonymous Poster
Are you kidding. For PC, the pros use Visual Studio, and some use Intel C++. On console, CodeWarrior is about the best out there; the SN tools suck. Freescale is working on next-gen CodeWarrior, and it's gonna be pimp.

I dig Dev-C++. It's served me well.

Hell, before I found Dev-C++ I was editing in notepad and compiling with batch files lol

But, I really have no room to say I prefer Dev-C++ over any other IDE since Dev-C++ is the only IDE I've ever used.

I, too, use Dev C++. This isn't out of preference though, as it is the only one I've ever used. I see no need to upgrade though, unless you can find an expensive IDE for cheap or free. (I think there is a link to get Visaul basic free, stickied to the top of for beginners) Dev C++ does what it needs to do, and compiles just fine for me. My advise to you would be to download several free or trial version IDEs and see which one you are most comfortable with, than buy/stick-with and discard all the others.

I have VS2005 Pro and Dev-C++. I use VS2005 for the ground-up on-Windows development and I use Dev-C++ for porting code from my standard development environment (Apple Xcode/GCC) to Windows.

I'm gonna suggest you get VS2005 Express and try both of them out. The more choices you have, the better.

For windows development, Microsoft Visual Studio is by far the best. It has (one of) the best compilers, an excellent profiler (for the higher versions), an amazing debugger and a package that is easy to use and well polished. The only complaint I could say is the software is huge. Expect a gigabyte for the compiler/IDE and another couple for the MSDN library.

You can receive a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 standard by watching a couple free ASP.NET webcasts (search through the lounge for a link). The offer is good until June 30th, so act fast. Also, you can download a slightly more limited, but very capable Express edition.

[Edited by - Sr_Guapo on May 30, 2006 3:54:55 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
You can receive a free copy of Visual Studio 2005 standard by watching a couple free ASP.NET webcasts (search through the lounge for a link). The offer is good until June 30th, so act fast. Also, you can download a slightly more limited, but very capable Express edition.

The only problem is that even the express is an 800MB download, which doesn't fly on my internet connection! Does anyone know of a way to get it on CD (or more likely, DVD)?

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo

For US residents only (and that is not all GDNet members). Even for I who live in canada, the offer is not available anymore :(( And i found that out after watching on of their 1-hour+ show about ASP and not understanding an single word (nor caring about) Silly me :(

BTW I use VC++ express to and I'm thinking about upgrading to the standard edition so as I can use visual assist integration (and possible some source control as well)