Sign in to follow this  
RaptorRex

[.net] Rolling out a .net game

(btw, where is the FAQ for this group?) Hi, I've never rolled out a C# app before. It needs .NET(v2) of course. I used VC#Express which has the ClickOnce piece. I'd rather not use ClickOnce as it is far more than my little game needs. But I since it can bootstrap .NETv2 I think I need it. Thus the following questions: 1) if I distribute on places like download.com can I assume enough people have .NETv2 that I don't need to worry about bootstrapping it? The game is aimed at casual players (it is a card game) 2) is there any way to bootstrap .NETv2 without ClickOnce. 3) I would like to just distribute the .exe and leave it at that, is that a bad thing? Thank you.

You can just distribute the EXE and give a link to the download site (on microsoft.com somewhere) for the framework redist.

.Net 2.0 is not currently shipped with anything, I don't think, so almost all your users would have to download it. .Net 1.1 is shipped with XP SP2 so quite a few people already have it.

Quote:
Original post by RaptorRex
2) is there any way to bootstrap .NETv2 without ClickOnce.
To implement the installation of ScreenCap, I used NSIS. If you download ScreenCap's source, you'll find the installer code I used to check if .NET is installed.

Quote:
Original post by RaptorRex
3) I would like to just distribute the .exe and leave it at that, is that a bad thing?
Nope, just zip up all your binaries and distribute it saying that .NET Framework 2.0 is required.

Quote:
Original post by Bob Janova
.Net 2.0 is not currently shipped with anything, I don't think, so almost all your users would have to download it. .Net 1.1 is shipped with XP SP2 so quite a few people already have it.
It apparently will be shipped with Vista.

I looked at your NSIS code and to better understand it, I did some searching on MS and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;318785&spid=8291&sid=global

It says how to determine .net version by the file version of mscorlib.dll
I suspect implementing this in NSIS will be rather simple.

Now I just need to learn NSIS.

Thanks for the guidance.