Game servers

Started by
12 comments, last by __ODIN__ 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by ronkfist
Look at my rating, having your own ideas is not appreciated here. ;)

If that's what you want to tell yourself, we'll play along. [smile]
Advertisement
Quote:
I see the "dont try re-inventing the wheel" answer way to much

I have to agree with that.
Ofcourse, its a smart thing to say, but when you hear it more than thousand times it doesnt sound smart anymore.
I hear it a lot from people coming from universities. Im sure that every student/scientist will toss this at you when you struggle the most trying to learn something new. If there is one thing they all know, it is this statement. No matter if they flunked in all other classes.

When it comes to this thread, the OP didnt say much about hes current status as programmer, or if he needed a "top nodge" solution for hes project or not. Not to mention that he writes in "beginners forum" and has 1000 (default) rating as of this writing. So if you lost 300ish rate points right here, Id say you have been treated like poo. Sorry to hear that (if the rating matter to you)
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
So if you lost 300ish rate points right here, Id say you have been treated like poo. Sorry to hear that (if the rating matter to you)

I'm trying to get a negative rating now, then I can tell ppl my rating got so high it just overflowed [smile].

Quote:Original post by ronkfist
I wouldn't call writing your own game server software re-inventing the wheel, your going to learn way more if you try to come up with your own solutions.

Not marking you down :)

I'm all for him writing his own game server; as a learning experience I fully recommend that he should do just that. What I wouldn't advice is getting down to the metal (UDP, winsock, BSD sockets), simply because they tend to have unreliable (not as in packet-loss) behaviour when 'unexpected' situations happen.

There's also a whole bunch of caveats with basic sockets when it comes to porting; both from a performance point of view, and from the view of handling a different set of unexpected special cases. That in addition to all the basic caveats that just come from basic networking :)

Once he's learnt the basics of how to send and receive data, handling multiple connections, synching data, handling dead-recogning, and wants to go back and learn the 'down to the metal stuff', he'll be better equipped. I'm just worried that if he jumps straight into that hole, he won't be comming back to networking at all.

Different opinions is all. DO let me know if the rating wraps, btw... if I see you've got 32,123+ rating tomorrow, I expect we'll probably be seeing a lot more flame-war activity in the Lounge :)

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement