Game servers

Started by
12 comments, last by __ODIN__ 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, This is an old topic I raise once more. When developing your game-servers, should you start from scratch? if any of you have relied on something to start with, I'd be happy if you can share it with everybody. For instance- Sun's Project Darkstar might be something to consider, but it could be too young to use this year. Any other alternatives you've considred/are using? Elad.
Advertisement
I suppose you could start from scratch but the old saying seems to come to mind "no reason in re-inventing the wheel." So if you can find code that is already mostly in place or specific wrappers already made. I would use/mod them to speed your development process. Especially if your a single programmer. I don't have any to offer because I usually don't work on the servers, but at least some guidance.
Im looking at a C++ wrapper called UDT right now for a game project of mine.
It is supposed to provide reliable transfer using the UDP protocol.
If it turns out to be stable and fast enough, I might use it to write a "from scratch" server/client.

If you consider using C/C++ you might wanna take a look
If you're talking MMO servers, you should probably also take a look at Quazal. I was going to point you at Butterfly.net too, but they seem to have disappeared and I can't figure out why.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Raknet comes highly recommended from a lot of people; might fit what you want to do.

If you want just a simplified reliable UDP lib, ENET is a pretty decent, lightweight implementation, which has been proven in a simple FPS.

Don't re-invent the wheel; in this particular case, fitting the wheel to different cars ('nix, windows, etc) is a real pain, and it has a tendency to spectacularly blow up the vehicle if you make the least mistake in building the wheel.

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
I wouldn't call writing your own game server software re-inventing the wheel, your going to learn way more if you try to come up with your own solutions.

Building your own OS to make a game is what I would call re-inventing the wheel.
Quote:Original post by ronkfist
I wouldn't call writing your own game server software re-inventing the wheel,
Why not?

Quote:your going to learn way more if you try to come up with your own solutions.
True. It comes down to whether you're more interested in learning, or more interested in getting it done.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

That's generally the problem here when ppl who have absolutly no idea start asking howto make games.
I see the "dont try re-inventing the wheel" answer way to much, they prolly start thinking it's a bad idea to try and work out their own solutions and just go with some pre-built solution.

Look at my rating, having your own ideas is not appreciated here. ;)
Quote:Original post by ronkfist
I see the "dont try re-inventing the wheel" answer way to much, they prolly start thinking it's a bad idea to try and work out their own solutions and just go with some pre-built solution.

I suggest using as much pre-made stuff as possible. So do the other people who have been horribly scarred from trying to write it all themselves. It is a rite of passage, and there's not much we can do about keeping "real programmer" newbies from doing the same thing to themselves and ending up as very bitter, largely unaccomplished moderators. [grin]

For some, though, programming everything might not be their most fervent wish in life. There's nothing wrong with using other people's tech -- I use other peoples' scripting languages, graphics toolkits, and basic utility functions because I'd rather write a game with what little free time I have between classes.

Also, tool-making usually leads to more tool-making, which psychologically conditions us to never get games done. I can name about a billion members on this site that have fallen into OCD tool-making behaviours.
You make it sound like a disease lol.
Oh well, ppl who really want to make their own frameworks will find the right path after a while, I guess its an instinct.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement