Doom 3 Style Consoles

Started by
5 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 17 years, 11 months ago
Heya all, I'm currently in the process of making a Star Trek mmorpg for a small select group of people. I'd like to have the consoles found around the ship to be similar to Doom 3 in that you just walk up to them and a cursor appears, rather than having like a pop up window. Can anyone think of the best way I could implement this? I was thinking along the lines of having the texture put together offscreen and then textures onto the terminal, but what about the cursor and how do i detect the clicks? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Render to Texture would work good for mapping the GUI to a 3d quad. Since the GUI is on a plane (quad) you should be able to simply do ray projection/intersection (with the GUI plane) to map the cursor coordinates to the local GUI coords.

As for detecting clicks, just use your input system (Windows/DI/etc).

HTH
Yup, multitexturing is your best bet for rendering the screen surface. The intersection is fairly trivial math.
Yup, agree with all of the above. You might want to look into some type of compositing system too, but that might be too much for what you need.
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Meep, double post

[Edited by - acid2 on May 19, 2006 3:22:34 PM]
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll let you know how it goes.

Another quick question, don't know if you'll be able to help me or not. I'm using Visual Basic at the moment, and currently using Display Lists (will be moving to VA's soon hopefully if I can get my head around them). I'm currently hard coding the display list code in, but I've just made a crate with 1024 polygons in and whenever I run the program it's coming up "Procedure Too Long".

Anyone know how to get around this? And does anyone know if this'll disappear when I insert my real object loading code, which is obv. much shorter.
I'm guessing that all the calls to create the object is exceeding some kind of internal limit for the display list.

The only way I could think to get around this would be to split the display list up into a few parts and call them one after each other.

However what you really should do is get your head around VAs and then VBOs, if only because the driver writers (IHVs) would prefer you to use them over display lists, certainly for large objects, and because display lists are going to be phased out in time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement